Review a toolkit, recent substance use and addiction-related education courses, and other resources just for Orthopedic Surgeons.
- Science to Medicine: Review the latest science and read about how your colleagues are screening for substance use in their practices.
- NIDAMED CME/CE Activities – Visit this page for adolescent-focused CME/CE courses related to opioids.
- Reducing the Risks of Opioids – Check out this online module from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to learn best risk mitigation strategies when prescribing opioids to patients.
- Dosing and Titration of Opioids: How Much, How Long, and How and When to Stop – Review information from the CDC on properly dosing and titrating opioids to reduce risk for opioid use disorder and overdose.
Screening and Prevention
- Check out NIDA’s Screening Tools and Prevention page to learn more about the validated Tobacco, Alcohol, Prescription medication, and other Substance use (TAPS) Tool for adults and two validated online screening tools for adolescents. For a comprehensive guide to screening tools organized by substance type, patient age, and administration method, with links to evidence-based screening and assessment tools you can use with your patients from adolescence to adulthood, visit the Screening and Assessment Tools Chart.
- Disposal of Unused Medicines: What You Should Know – Visit this page from the Food & Drug Administration to learn how to properly dispose of old, unused, unwanted, or expired medicine.
Opioid Crisis and Pain Management
- Prescription Safety – American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Opioid Use, Misuse, and Abuse in Orthopaedic Practice – Information Statement from AAOS
- Pain Relief Toolkit – This toolkit from AAOS has tips on discussing preoperative and postoperative pain relief, preoperative screening questionnaires, and orthopedic department opioid safety strategies.
- Check out NIDAMED’s For Your Patients page for educational materials on addiction and substance use that you can share with your patients, including instructions on how to safely dispose of prescription medications.
- AAOS also has information for patients on Managing Pain With Medications After Orthopaedic Surgery, as well as a companion page on Alternative Methods to Help Manage Pain After Orthopaedic Surgery.
Visit the NIDAMED homepage for additional CME courses, patient materials, and information on the opioid crisis, screening, prevention, and treatment.