Review recent substance use and addiction toolkits, resources, courses, and more for pharmacists.
- Science to Medicine – Review the latest science about naloxone in the pharmacy setting and get considerations and resources from a fellow pharmacist.
- Pathways to Safer Opioid Use (CE) – Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
- Training and Webinars from the American Pharmacists Association (APhA) Opioid Resource Center – Training on opioid misuse and addiction, including abuse deterrent formulations, care of patients with addiction, naloxone, and the pharmacist's role in opioid therapeutics. CE offered for some trainings.
- Promising roles for pharmacists in addressing the U.S. opioid crisis.
- RESPOND Toolkit for pharmacists – Resources to increase opioid safety screening and communication practices in community pharmacy settings.
- Opioid Use, Abuse, and Misuse Resource Center – APhA
Opioid Overdose & Naloxone
- Prescribe to Prevent – Information on naloxone specifically for pharmacists, as well as patient education materials.
- Naloxone for Opioid Overdose: Life-Saving Science
- The National Alliance of State Pharmacy Associations’ pages on:
- Good Samaritan Overdose Prevention Laws – Prescription Drug Abuse Policy System
- Let's Talk About Naloxone—It Saves Lives – Review guidance about discussing naloxone with patients from APhA's Pain, Palliative Care, and Addiction Special Interest Group.
Prevention and Harm Reduction
- Syringe Services Programs – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- North American Syringe Exchange Network (NASEN) – Visit NASEN’s syringe exchange program map to identify program locations. NASEN programs provide a variety of services, such as syringe distribution, HIV/HCV testing, and fentanyl test strips.
- AWARXE Prescription Drug Safety: Pharmacist Resources – Tools for prevention including "red flags" commonly associated with diversion, patient flyers, and setting up a safe disposal site.
Visit the NIDAMED homepage for additional CME courses, patient materials, and information on the opioid crisis, screening, prevention, and treatment.