In This Section
NIDAMED’s mission is to disseminate science-based resources to health professionals on the causes and consequences of drug use and addiction, and advances in pain management.
For Your Practice
- Addiction Science Resources
- Facing Addiction in America: The Surgeon General's Report on Alcohol, Drugs and Health
- Opioid Overdose Crisis
- Naloxone for Opioid Overdose: Life-Saving Science
- NIH Director Francis Collins on America’s opioid crisis (5:08) – Washington Post
- Prescription Opioid Use – American Dental Association
- Naloxone in the Schools Tool Kit – National Association of School Nurses
- Opioids, Pregnancy and Neonatal Care
- Improving Opioid Prescribing
- CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain – CDC
- Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy – FDA
- Opioids – HHS
- Prevention of Prescription Opioid Use: The Role of the Dentist
- Transforming Opioid Prescribing in Primary Care: Resources for Prescribers, Pharmacists and Patients
- Other Opioid Prescribing Resources
- Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder: Waiver Qualifying - 8 Hours Online – American Society of Addiction Medicine
- Opioid Prescribing: Safe Practice, Changing Lives – American Society of Addiction Medicine
- NIDA’s Strategic Plan
- Responsibly and Sensitively Addressing Chronic Pain Amid an Opioid Crisis
- Noninvasive Treatments for Acute, Subacute, and Chronic Low Back Pain – The American College of Physicians
- Managing Chronic Pain – California Academy of Family Physicians
Two Brief Online Validated Adolescent Substance Use Screening Tools — NIDA's Clinical Trials Network
Guides clinicians through a series of questions to identify risky substance use in their adult patients.
Video explaining the NIDAMED Web Portal
Health Professions Education
Addiction Medicine Subspecialty
- NIH Pain Consortium’s Centers of Excellence in Pain Education: Curriculum resources for medical, dental, nursing and pharmacy students to enhance and improve how health care professionals are taught about pain and its treatment.
- NIDA Centers of Excellence (CoE) for Physician Information: Curriculum on substance use disorders. Choose curriculum resources based on:
- Treatment Information
- Medications to Treat Opioid Addiction
- NIDA/SAMHSA Blending Initiative – Accelerating the dissemination of research-based drug abuse treatment into clinical practice
- Principles of Adolescent Substance Use Disorder Treatment: A Research-Based Guide
- Principles of Drug Abuse Treatment for Criminal Justice Populations – A Research-Based Guide
- Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment: A Research-Based Guide (Third Edition)
- Research Report: Therapeutic Communities
- DrugFacts – Treatment Statistics
- Effective Treatments for Opioid Addiction
- National Guidelines for the Use of Medications in the Treatment of Addiction Involving Opioid Use (PDF, 1MB) – American Society of Addiction Medicine
- Drugs: Shatter the Myths (Video) – Answers teens’ most frequently asked questions about drugs and abuse with scientific facts and engaging images.
- Principles of Substance Abuse Prevention for Early Childhood – Early childhood risks can lead to immediate and long-term problems that increase a child’s chances of substance abuse and other problems in adolescence and later in life.
- Patient Materials
- Drug Facts
- NIDA for Teens
- NIDA Website in Spanish
- Opioid Addiction Treatment: A Guide for Patients, Families and Friends – American Society of Addiction Medicine
Accessing Clinical Trial Information
Get this Publication
ADA Takes Action to Prevent Opioid Use
NIH Addresses the Opioid Crisis
Videos For Medical and Health Professionals
Find information about addiction and mental health services in your area. You can search by state or zip code online or call the number.
SAMHSA’s Knowledge Network
SAMHSA’s Knowledge Network is a comprehensive online resource of behavioral health training, technical assistance, and workforce development for the health care community.