Share educational materials on addiction and substance use with your patients and their families.
General Drug Facts & Information about Addiction
- Words Matter: Preferred Language for Talking About Addiction – Learn about stigma, how it affects people with SUD, and how simple changes in language can help reduce and avoid harmful stigma and negativity around addiction.
- Drug Facts – Plain language summaries on different drugs.
- Drugs, Brain, and Behavior: The Science of Addiction – Explanation of the impact of drugs and addiction on the brain.
- View the NIDA Website in Spanish
- Addiction Treatment
- NIDA’s Step by Step Guides to Finding Treatment for Drug Use Disorders – Resources and information for your patients with/at risk of SUD.
- NIAAA: How to Spot Quality Treatment – Share with patients with/at risk of alcohol use disorder to learn how to recognize quality care and treatment.
- NIDA's Treatment Page – Step-by-step guidelines your patients can use to get help for a substance use disorder or to help a friend or loved one with addiction.
- Find Treatment – Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) resources on treatment (including treatment options, support hotlines and locator).
- Opioid Addiction Treatment: A Guide for Patients, Families and Friends – Guide on addiction assessment and treatment from the American Society of Addiction Medicine.
- Treatment options – factsheet
- Encouraging patient-physician conversations – poster
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Opioid Crisis page – Up-to-date opioid-related statistics, research, and addiction services.
- How Can Families Prevent Opioid Related Deaths? – Video about having the overdose reversal drug naloxone on hand if they know someone with an opioid use disorder.
- Factsheets: Chronic pain, prescription drugs, and safe opioid use
- Poster: prescription drugs
- Vaping – Videos, publications, infographics, and other resources focused on vaping.
- Tobacco/Nicotine and Vaping – Statistics and national trends on tobacco and vaping.
- Outbreak of Lung Injury Associated with the Use of E-Cigarette, or Vaping, Products – Regularly updated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to provide the latest information on vaping illnesses and trends.
- Smokefree.Gov– Information on tobacco cessation and resources from the National Cancer Institute.
- The Safety Reporting Portal – Portal to report adverse effects of vaping to the FDA and the National Institutes of Health.
- For more information about e-cigarettes and vaping, visit the Vaping, Marijuana, and Other Drugs page
- Special Populations
For Older Adults
- Older Adults and Substance Use Disorder (SUD) – Access resources on pain, SUD, alcohol, and addiction treatment for older adults.
- DrugFacts: Substance Use in Older Adults – Information on the scope and impact of substance use among older adults, including a special focus on prescription medicines, marijuana, nicotine, and alcohol.
- Resources for people with substance use disorders and in recovery during COVID-19
For Pregnant Patients
- Infographics: Marijuana and Pregnancy, Opioid Use Disorder and Pregnancy, and Alcohol and Pregnancy
- Frequently Asked Questions: Marijuana and Pregnancy; Opioid Use Disorder and Pregnancy; Alcohol and Women; Smoking; and Tobacco, Alcohol, Drugs, and Pregnancy
- Teens Ask: “Is There a Cure for Addiction?” – For teen patients with questions about addiction and treatment, this blog post explains how different addiction treatment approaches work to help people reach recovery and live health lives.
- Mind Matters Series – English and Spanish pamphlets that can help middle school-aged students understand the effects and consequences drug use has on the brain and body.
- Opioid Facts for Teens
- Marijuana Facts for Teens
- NIDA for Teens Website
- Drug Use and Your Mouth – Drug Facts for Teens
- Parents and teens can visit the Drugged Driving page to learn more about its severity, relevant stats, and steps to prevent it.
- Tips for Teens – Fact sheets from the SAMHSA are specifically designed for teens; and address the risks, statistics, and myths about various substances that teens may use.
- Safely Dispose of Your Prescription Medicines – Instructions to help protect your teens.
- Poster on Safe Storage & Disposal of Medications – American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- Family Checkup: Positive Parenting Prevents Drug Abuse – Booklet and videos highlight parenting skills that are important in preventing the initiation and progression of drug use among youth.
- E-Cigarettes – Quick facts and resources about E-Cigarettes from AAP.
- Infographics: Teens and E-cigarettes; and E-Cigarettes Shaped Like USB Flash Drives: Information for Parents, Educators, and Health Care Providers