Revised September 2019
Find Help and Treatment
NIDA does not provide medical advice. For medical advice, we strongly urge you to contact a qualified health care provider.
- For information about how to know if you or a loved one needs treatment, and how to find it, visit our Step-by-Step Guides.
- If you are looking for an addiction specialist, please visit the American Society of Addiction Medicine.
- To find a treatment center in your area, please visit the SAMHSA Treatment Locator. NIDA does not endorse any specific treatment program.
The National Helpline provides 24-hour free and confidential referrals and information about mental and/or substance use disorders, prevention, treatment, and recovery in English and Spanish.
For additional information on finding help and treatment options, visit www.samhsa.gov/find-treatment.
The information and email services on this Web site cannot provide personalized medical advice about conditions or treatments. The resources on this site should not be used as a substitute for professional medical care. Contact your medical care providers for answers to personal health questions. We also do not rate or provide referrals to physicians or health care facilities. Such activities are usually handled by state or local governments.
- Frequently Asked Questions - Answers to NIDA's most frequently asked questions, including information about addiction and substance use disorders
- Grant & Contract Application Frequently Asked Questions - Answers to NIDA's most frequently asked questions about funding opportunities, policies, and contacts.
- Media Inquiries - If you are a member of the media seeking an interview with a scientist, email our press office or call 301-443-6245.
- National Drug and Alcohol Facts Week® - For questions about holding events
- Publications - Information on our publications and ordering.
- Technical Questions About the Website - Email form for any web-related questions or problems accessing our website.
- Other questions - Please submit your query through only the Contact NIDA form; do not also send the same query through other email addresses found on the NIDA site. We will route your message to the appropriate contact and try to respond within 3 to 5 business days.
Visit NIDA International https://www.drugabuse.gov/international and learn about international collaboration on research, funding, research training fellowships, scientific meetings, educational opportunities, and tools to identify international researchers. NIDA International Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For international public inquiries requesting more information about specific substance use services and/or resources in their countries see the following links below.
- U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL)
- International Society of Substance Use Prevention and Treatment Professionals (ISSUP)
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
- World Health Organization
Mail & Phone
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Office of Science Policy and Communications
Public Information and Liaison Branch
6001 Executive Boulevard
Room 5213, MSC 9561
Bethesda, Maryland 20892
301-443-1124 (general inquiries)
301-443-6245 (press inquiries)