Keeping you up-to-date on the latest trends related to medical marijuana, use during pregnancy, and statistics about commonly misused drugs. For an overview of commonly used and misused drugs, check out this chart. It includes information about 30 specific types of drugs (e.g., street names, common forms, ways to take them), their possible health effects, and treatment options if they are misused.
If you are looking for materials to share with adults, teens, and parents on marijuana and other drugs, visit the For Your Patients page.
- For patient information, visit the For Your Patients page.
Learn More About E-Cigarettes/Vaping
- Vaping and E-Cigarette Videos – Playlist of informational videos from NIDA.
- Vaping Resources – Videos, publications, infographics, and more from NIDA. Find statistics and national trends on NIDA’s Tobacco/Nicotine and Vaping page.
- E-Cigarettes Facts – American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) webpage with facts and resources
- E-Cigarettes and Vaping: What Clinicians Need to Know – AAP Factsheet
Outbreak of Lung Injury Associated with the Use of E-Cigarette, or Vaping, Products – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) regularly updates this page on vaping illnesses and trends.
- The CDC also has a page just for healthcare providers with practice guidance, considerations for treatment, and more.
- Vaping of marijuana on the rise among teens – Funded by NIDA and conducted by scientists at the University of Michigan, the Monitoring the Future survey tracks annual drug use and attitudes among eighth, 10th, and 12th grade students.
- NIH-funded study finds teens prefer mint and mango vaping flavors
- Teen e-cigarette use doubles since 2017
- E-Cigarettes Promote Smoking Progression in Youth and Depress Quitting Among Adults
- E-Cigarettes and the brain – Study shows e-cigarettes affect the brain similarly to other nicotine sources, read more about the recent findings.
- FDA Finalizes Enforcement Policy on Unauthorized Flavored Cartridge-Based E-Cigarettes That Appeal to Children, Including Fruit and Mint – Policy on flavored vaping cartridges from the Food & Drug Administration (FDA).
Vaping Illness Update: FDA Warns Public to Stop Using Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) – Containing Vaping Products and Any Vaping Products Obtained Off the Street – FDA
- The Safety Reporting Portal – Use this portal to report adverse effects of vaping to the FDA and the National Institutes of Health.
- Hearing on Cannabis Policies for the New Decade – Read Dr. Volkow’s congressional testimony on the adverse health effects of cannabis, current NIH efforts to research the risks and benefits of cannabis use, and its potential for therapeutic purposes.
- Tobacco, marijuana, and pregnancy – Read the latest NIDA-funded science on this topic
- Is Marijuana Safe to Use While Pregnant or Breastfeeding?
- Marijuana Use During Pregnancy and Lactation – The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Committee Opinion
- Medical Marijuana
- Preventing the Use of Marijuana: Focus on Women and Pregnancy – Learn about research findings, best practices, knowledge gaps and implementation resources from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Psychotic Symptoms in Some Marijuana Users Challenge Providers – Read about how psychoactive compounds in marijuana have increased the risk of psychotic symptoms.
- Monitoring the Future Survey: High School and Youth Trends – The latest trends on vaping, marijuana, alcohol, opioid, and other illicit drug use.
- Statistics and trends for commonly misused drugs
- Implementing Tobacco Cessation Programs in Substance Use Disorder Treatment Settings – Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Substance Use Among the Military, Veterans, and their Families – Explores the scope of substance use among the military, veterans, and their families, and discusses the research underway to better understand issues and identify solutions.