Keeping you up-to-date on the latest trends related to medical marijuana, use during pregnancy, and statistics about commonly misused drugs. For an overview of commonly used and misused drugs, check out this chart. It includes information about 30 specific types of drugs (e.g., street names, common forms, ways to take them), their possible health effects, and treatment options if they are misused.
If you are looking for materials to share with adults, teens, and parents on marijuana and other drugs, visit the For Your Patients page.
- Vaping – Get videos, publications, infographics, and other resources focused on vaping.
- E-Cigarettes – Visit this page from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) for quick facts and resources about E-Cigarettes.
- E-Cigarettes and Vaping: What Clinicians Need to Know – AAP
Statitstics and National Trends
- Tobacco/Nicotine and Vaping
- Outbreak of Lung Injury Associated with the Use of E-Cigarette, or Vaping, Products – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) regularly updates this page to provide the latest information on vaping illnesses and trends.
- Vaping of marijuana on the rise among teens – Funded by NIDA and conducted by scientists at the University of Michigan, the Monitoring the Future survey tracks annual drug use and attitudes among eighth, 10th, and 12th grade students.
- NIH-funded study finds teens prefer mint and mango vaping flavors
- E-Cigarettes Promote Smoking Progression in Youth and Depress Quitting Among Adults
- E-Cigarettes and the brain – Study shows e-cigarettes affect the brain similarly to other nicotine sources, read more about the recent findings.
- FDA Finalizes Enforcement Policy on Unauthorized Flavored Cartridge-Based E-Cigarettes That Appeal to Children, Including Fruit and Mint – Policy on flavored vaping cartridges from the Food & Drug Administration (FDA).
Vaping Illness Update: FDA Warns Public to Stop Using Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)-Containing Vaping Products and Any Vaping Products Obtained Off the Street – Food & Drug Administration (FDA)
- The Safety Reporting Portal – Use this portal to report adverse effects of vaping to the FDA and the National Institutes of Health.
- Monitoring the Future 2019 Survey Results: Vaping
- E-Cigarettes Shaped Like USB Flash Drives: Information for Parents, Educators, and Health Care Providers – CDC
- Tobacco, marijuana, and pregnancy – Read the latest NIDA-funded science on this topic
- Is Marijuana Safe to Use While Pregnant or Breastfeeding?
- Marijuana Use During Pregnancy and Lactation – The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Committee Opinion
- Medical Marijuana
- Preventing the Use of Marijuana: Focus on Women and Pregnancy – Learn about research findings, best practices, knowledge gaps and implementation resources from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Monitoring the Future Survey: High School and Youth Trends – The latest trends on vaping, marijuana, alcohol, opioid, and other illicit drug use.
- Statistics and trends for commonly misused drugs
- Implementing Tobacco Cessation Programs in Substance Use Disorder Treatment Settings – Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Substance Use Among the Military, Veterans, and their Families – Explores the scope of substance use among the military, veterans, and their families, and discusses the research underway to better understand issues and identify solutions.