Tobacco is a plant grown for its leaves, which are dried and fermented before being put in tobacco products. Tobacco contains nicotine, an ingredient that can lead to addiction, which is why so many people who use tobacco find it difficult to quit. There are also many other potentially harmful chemicals found in tobacco or created by burning it. Read the DrugFacts
- Research Report on Tobacco, Nicotine and E-Cigarettes
- DrugFacts: Electronic Cigarettes (E-cigarettes)
Statistics and Trends
Swipe left or right to scroll.
|Drug||Time Period||8th Graders||10th Graders||12th Graders|
|Cigarettes (any use)||Lifetime||9.10||16.00||[23.80]|
Swipe left or right to scroll.
|Drug||Time Period||Ages 12 or Older||Ages 12 to 17||Ages 18 to 25||Ages 26 or Older|
|Cigarettes (any use)||Lifetime||55.70||9.60||45.90||62.60|
- NIDA Live: The Science of Vaping (30:19) (September 2019)
- Dr. Wilson Compton on MTF and Nicotine Use (1:41) (December 2016)
- Teens Using E-cigarettes More Likely to Start Smoking Tobacco (1:07) (August 2015)
- I-Science: #CPDD What's Hot - Public Health Potential of E-cigarette (0:55) (July 2015)
- Population Assessment of Tobacco and Health Study (PATH) - A national longitudinal study of tobacco use and how it affects the health of people in the United States, led by NIDA and the Food and Drug Administration
- Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence Guidelines
- NIDA for Teens: Tobacco Addiction
- Guidance for Parents on Keeping Kids Smoke-Free (Letter from NIDA's former director) (Archives)
- Tobacco Regulatory Science Program (TRSP) (NIH/FDA collaboration)
- Preventing and Reducing Teen Tobacco Use (HHS)
- Online Guide to Quit Smoking (NCI - smokefree.gov)
- Results from 2018 National Youth Tobacco Survey show dramatic increase in e-cigarette use among youth over past year (FDA, November 2018)
- 2018 National Youth Tobacco Survey Infographic (FDA, November 2018)
- The Real Cost (FDA Center for Tobacco Products)
- Be Tobacco Free (HHS)
- Electronic Cigarettes (CDC)
- Notes from the Field: Use of Electronic Cigarettes and Any Tobacco Product Among Middle and High School Students — United States, 2011–2018 (MMRW) (CDC, November 2018)
- Tips from former Smokers (CDC)
- The Virtual Office of the Surgeon General - Guidelines to Quit Smoking
- Transdisciplinary Tobacco Use Research Centers - NIDA, the National Cancer Institute, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation: Studying new ways to combat tobacco use
- MEDLINEplus Health Information on Drug Abuse - National Library of Medicine, NIH
- www.abovetheinfluence.com - Office of National Drug Control Policy
- healthfinder.gov - U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Past information on many drugs of abuse is available on our Archives site.
Clinical trials are research studies in human volunteers conducted to answer specific health questions. Learn about the NIH-sponsored clinical trials available to you.
- NIDA Clinical Trial Locator - answer a few simple questions and get contact information for Clinical Trials near you.
Other Clinical Trials information sources:
- NIH Clinical Trials and You - NIH site that helps explain about clinical trials and why people participate.
- NIDA Trials at ClinicalTrials.gov - a resource of federally and privately supported clinical trials.
- Clinical Research Studies from the National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network (CTN) - a NIDA coordinated network of research institutions conducting human trials on drug abuse solutions.
- Research Studies at NIDA Intramural Research Program - located in Baltimore, Maryland.
Emerging Trends & Alerts
Get more information on Emerging Trends and Alerts, we will update this page with the latest research findings as they develop.
Get this Publication
Cite this article
NIDA. (). Tobacco/Nicotine and Vaping. Retrieved from https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/tobacconicotine-vaping
For help from the National Cancer Institute: 1-877-44U-QUIT (1-877-448-7848)
The National Cancer Institute's trained counselors are available to provide information and help with quitting in English or Spanish, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
Other Articles of Interest
Discusses the harmful effects of tobacco use, risks associated with pregnancy and adolescents, as well as best practices for the prevention and treatment of tobacco addiction.
Find information about addiction and mental health services in your area. You can search by state or zip code online or call the number. (SAMHSA)