The following is a list of selected NIDA publications with relevance to health disparities and racial/ethnic minorities. Some of these publications are available at the NIDA DrugPubs Research Dissemination Center.
Publications Related to Health Disparities and Racial/Ethnic Minorities
- Beatty, L.A. (2003). Changing their minds: Drug abuse and addiction in Black women. In D. Brown & V. Keith (Eds.), In and Out of Our Right Minds, The Mental Health of African American Women. New York: Columbia University Press, 59–79.
- Beatty, L.A., Jones, D.J., & Doctor, L. (2005). Reducing HIV/AIDS and criminal justice involvement in African Americans as a consequence of drug abuse. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 16(4, Suppl B), 1–5.
- Drug Use, HIV/AIDS, and Health Outcomes Among Racial and Ethnic Populations. (2002). Public Health Reports, 117(Suppl 1).
- Jones, D., & Crump, A. (2005). Methodological challenges in conducting health disparities research. Journal of Urban Health, 82(2, Suppl 3), iii1–iii4.
- Myers, Peter L. (2007). 21st Century Research on Drugs and Ethnicity: Studies Supported by the National Institute on Drug Abuse. New York: Haworth Press.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2003). Drug Use Among Racial/Ethnic Minorities, Revised.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (1997). Rural Substance Abuse: State of Knowledge and Issues (Research Monograph 168).
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (2009). NIDA-Supported Research on Drug Abuse and Addiction in Racial/Ethnic Minority Populations; A Resource Guide.
- Segal, B. (1998). Conducting Drug Abuse Research with Minority Populations, Advances and Issues. New York: Routledge.
- Weis, S.R., Kung, H.C., & Pearson, J.L. (2003). Emerging issues in gender and ethnic differences in substance abuse and treatment. Current Women's Health Reports, 3(3), 245–253.
NIDA Publications of Interest
- Principles of Drug Abuse Treatment for Criminal Justice Populations, Revised (2007).
- Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment: A Research-Based Guide, Revised (2009).
- Preventing Drug Use among Children and Adolescents: A Research-Based Guide for Parents, Educators, and Community Leaders, Second Edition, Revised (2003).
- Principles of HIV Prevention in Drug-Using Populations: A Research-Based Guide (2002).