The National Institute on Drug Abuse Summer Research Internship Program supports undergraduate students with a focus on increasing underrepresented populations in drug abuse research. Through this program, students age 18 years and older are introduced to the field of drug abuse and addiction research by participating in research internships with NIDA’s distinguished scientists at universities across the United States. Students work with leading scientists for eight weeks during the summer. The internship may include laboratory experiments, data collection, data analysis, formal courses, participation in lab meetings, patient interviews, manuscript preparation, library research, and literature reviews. In addition, it is expected that each intern will deliver a formal presentation on his/her research project at the end of the internship.
The NIDA Summer Research Internship Program is in its 22nd year. Since the program’s inception in 1997, more than 1100 students have gained experience in drug abuse and addiction research.
- This program provides summer research internships for undergraduate students 18 years and older, with a focus on recruiting students underrepresented in the biomedical, behavioral, and clinical sciences (American Indian/Alaska Native, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander), graduating 2018 college seniors are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old by May 31, 2018 and must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States (No Exceptions).
- Individuals who have already participated in the NIDA Summer Research Internship Program are no longer eligible to apply.
- Scope of Support
- Interns will receive stipends in the amount of $12.00 per hour for a maximum stipend of $3,840 for eight weeks.
- Application Procedures
To apply online and to view program information, see the NIDA Summer Research Internship Program online application.
(Applications will be accepted from January 1, 2018 – February 12, 2018.)
- To apply for this program, fill in all sections of the electronic application form and submit the required application components.
- Application components include:
- A completed application form,
- Current transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable), and
- Two letters of recommendation preferably on letterhead.
- All application materials must be submitted by Friday, February 12, 2018. 2018 Program Dates & Timeline (Subject to change):
- October 30, 2017—Mentor Application deadline
- December 2017—Program recruitment materials go live on website
- January 1, 2018—Internship application materials available online
- February 12, 2018—Intern application deadline
- March 1, 2018 - March 15, 2018—Intern applications reviewed by NIDA
- April 1, 2018—Mentors and applicants are notified of final application status
- May 4, 2018—Supplement application from PI is due to NIDA
- May 14, 2017—Supplements are awarded to NIDA parent grant
- *June 1, 2018—Summer Research with NIDA 2018 officially begins (and lasts for 8 weeks)
- If you have any questions, feel free to contact Julie Huffman, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 301-443-9798.
- What past NIDA summer interns are saying about the program.