The COVID-19 pandemic presents unique challenges for people with substance use disorders (SUDs) and people in recovery. To address the urgency of this rapidly evolving situation, we have compiled a list of COVID-19 resource pages from federal agencies and other organizations focusing on behavioral health and addiction.
Resources Specific to SUD and COVID-19
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration COVID-19 Webpage – Guidance for opioid treatment programs; virtual recovery resources; and considerations for treating SUDs and mental disorders.
- American Society of Addiction Medicine Resources COVID-19 Resources – Practice considerations, telehealth information, outpatient treatment guidance, drug testing protocols, and more.
- Providers Clinical Support System COVID-19 Resources – National and state guidance, toolkits, provider support, and other resources to help clinicians care for patients with OUD in the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Responding to Coronavirus: Resources from the National Association of Addiction Treatment Providers – Webinars and resources related to telehealth and recovery, along with other provider resources.
- NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals, COVID-19 Resources – Webinars, recent research, telehealth resources, and SUD-specific information.
- American Psychiatric Association COVID-19 Resources – Practice guidance, press releases, information on SUDs, and telehealth resources.
General Guidance Around COVID-19 for Health Care Professionals
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resource Page – News releases and resources from NIH and the federal government.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention COVID-19 Information for Healthcare Professionals Page – Safety tips, trends and statistics, information for healthcare professionals, and resources for the general population.
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Medicare Telemedicine Healthcare Providers Fact Sheet – Learn about the types of services covered and important key takeaways from this policy change.
- Health Resources and Services Administration COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions – Telehealth information, funding opportunities, travel guidance, and information relating to HIV care and client services.
- Drug Enforcement Administration COVID-19 Information – FAQs, information on prescriptions and telemedicine, DEA policy and guidance on medication assisted treatment, and more.
- National Association of Addiction Treatment Providers COVID-19 Resources – FAQs, webinars, provider and practice resources, and information on telehealth and recovery.
- National Association of State Drug and Alcohol Abuse Directors COVID-19 Resources – Guidance and strategies, tips for social distancing, FAQs, and other federal resources to help states and territories prepare for and respond to COVID-19.
More on COVID-19 from NIDA
- COVID-19 Resources (NIDA) – Information for researchers, recovery resources, justice system resources, and featured articles on COVID-19 and SU.
- "Collision of the COVID-19 and Addiction Epidemics" – Annals of Internal Medicine, By Nora D. Volkow, April 2, 2020.
- Nora's Blog: COVID-19: Potential Implications for Individuals with SUDs – Blog post by Dr. Nora Volkow, Director, National Institute on Drug Abuse.