Reducing Stigmatizing Language and Behaviors in the Health Care Setting
- Words Matter – Terms to Use and Avoid When Talking About Addiction. Information and tips to help providers reduce stigma and negative bias while discussing substance use and addiction with patients.
- Addressing the Stigma that Surrounds Addiction. Nora’s Blog, April 2020.
- The Stigma and Toll of Addiction. New England Journal of Medicine, April 2020.
Stigma and Health Disparities Across Special Populations
- Addressing the Unique Challenges of Opioid Use Disorder in Women – Biological differences may influence women’s susceptibility to SUD and addiction, which could have implications for prevention and treatment. Learn more from the Centers for Disease Control.
- Women and Alcohol – Factsheet from NIAAA with up-to-date research on women and alcohol use and an overview of the long-term effects of alcohol use on women.
Race and Gender
- Minority Health and Health Disparities – Quick facts, research, and more on alcohol use-related health disparities among racial and ethnic minorities from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA).
- A Message from the Director on Racially Motivated Violence – Nora’s Blog, June 2020.
- Substance Use and SUDs in LGBTQ* Populations
- Access to Addiction Services Differs by Race and Gender – Nora’s Blog, July 2019.
- Health Disparities in Drug- and Alcohol-Use Disorders: A 12-Year Longitudinal Study of Youths After Detention – American Journal of Public Health, May 2016.