Revised November 2014
Chart of Evidence-Based Screening Tools for Adults and Adolescents
- Screening, Assessment, and Drug Testing Chart - Provides validated tools to guide screening, evaluation, and referral to treatment of patients with a substance use disorder.
NIDA Drug Use Screening Tool Support Materials
Quick Screen: For All Patients
- Quick Screen Online-Interactive to identify patients with recent substance use.
- NIDA Quick Screening Tool (PDF, 216KB)
What to do next if your patient...
- Had one or more days of heavy drinking in the past year, see "Helping Patients Who Drink Too Much: A Clinician's Guide" for information to help assess, advise, and assist at-risk drinkers or patients with alcohol use disorders.
- Used any tobacco products in the past year, advise them to quit. For more information on smoking cessation, please see "Helping Smokers Quit: A Guide for Clinicians."
- Used illegal drugs or prescription medications for nonmedical reasons one or more times in the past year, give them a full screen. Use the NIDA-Modified ASSIST (NM ASSIST) or another validated screening tool.
- Did not use in the past year, reinforce patient's behavior and offer continuing support.
Clinician's Resource Guide
This guide supplements the NIDA Drug Use Screening Tool by providing more detailed instructions to clinicians on how to use the tool, discuss screening results, offer brief interventions, and make necessary referrals. It also includes information on conducting biological specimen screening and locating substance abuse treatment facilities.
Quick Reference Guide
This guide provides an abbreviated version of NIDA’s Drug Use Screening tool and instructions on its use.
Get this Publication
Find information about addiction and mental health services in your area. You can search by state or zip code online or call the number.
SAMHSA’s Knowledge Network
SAMHSA’s Knowledge Network is a comprehensive online resource of behavioral health training, technical assistance, and workforce development for the health care community.