Drug abuse and addiction have been inextricably linked with HIV/AIDS since the beginning of the epidemic. The link has to do with heightened risk—both of contracting and transmitting HIV and of worsening its consequences. Learn more
Learn about how NIDA’s AIDS Research Program supports an innovative and multidisciplinary HIV/AIDS research portfolio.
The Role of Synthetic Cannabinoids in treating HIV
Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Synthetic Cannabinoids
- HIV.drugabuse.gov - Learn the link between drug abuse and the spread of the HIV infection
- d'cisions - A series of Webisodes designed to educate teens and young adults on the link between non-injection drug use and HIV transmission
- "Text Message" and "After the Party" (Public Service Announcements)
- Jack and Jill (Public Service Announcement)
- Message from the NIDA Director - HIV/AIDS and Drug Abuse - World AIDS Day 2011
- International AIDS Conference - July 18-23, 2010
- Drug Abuse and Risky Behaviors: The Evolving Dynamics of HIV AIDS - Meeting on May 8-9, 2007
- For additional information on HIV/AIDS, please visit:
- MEDLINEplus Health Information on Drug Abuse - National Library of Medicine, NIH
- www.abovetheinfluence.com - Office of National Drug Control Policy
- healthfinder.gov - U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Past information on many drugs of abuse is available on our Archives site.
Clinical trials are research studies in human volunteers conducted to answer specific health questions. Learn about the NIH-sponsored clinical trials available to you.
- NIH Clinical Trials and You - NIH site that helps explain about clinical trials and why people participate.
- NIDA Trials at ClinicalTrials.gov - a resource of federally and privately supported clinical trials.
- Clinical Research Studies from the National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network (CTN) - a NIDA coordinated network of research institutions conducting human trials on drug abuse solutions.
- Research Studies at NIDA Intramural Research Program - located in Baltimore, Maryland.
Get this Publication
Cite this article
APA style citation
National Institute on Drug Abuse. HIV/AIDS Retrieved from https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics/hivaids
Explores the link between drug abuse and HIV/AIDS and discusses treatment options, populations most at risk, and trends in HIV/AIDS and what to do to counter these trends.