In This Section
Find the latest science-based information about the health effects and consequences of drug use and addiction and resources for talking with kids about the impact of drug use on health.
Free Resources for Parents
Free Publications for Order
- Opioids Facts for Teens
- Opioids: Facts Parents Need to Know
- Marijuana Facts for Teens
- Marijuana Facts for Parents
- Science of Addiction
- Shatter the Myths
- En español
- View More Publications
Drug Facts (Fact Sheets)
- Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD) Study
- Commonly Abused Drugs Chart
- Emerging Trends
- Family Checkup: Positive Parenting Prevents Drug Abuse
- Keeping Youth Drug Free (SAMHSA, Online Publication)
- Opioids and Adolescents (Office of Adolescent Health)
- Preventing Drug Abuse Among Children and Adolescents: A Research-Based Guide for Parents, Educators, and Community Leaders, 2nd Edition
- Principles of Substance Abuse Prevention for Early Childhood
- Real-Life Drug Use Stories Blog Posts
- Safely Dispose of Your Prescription Medicines
- Scientists Answer Teens Most Popular Questions
- Some research suggests that secondhand e-cigarette device aerosols can exacerbate asthma symptoms, but more research is needed
- Video: "Adolescent Substance Use, Addiction, and Treatment" with Sarah Bagley, M.D. (Office of Adolescent Health)
Resources geared to students in college and their parents, guardians, and grandparents.
- Advice to Parents | Drugs & College 101 (5:56)
- College-Age and Young Adult NIDA Resources
- College Event Toolkit - National Drug & Alcohol Facts Week
- Podcast - Prevention Profiles: Take Five - College Drug Use (32:11) [Campus Drug Prevention, Guest: Dr. Amelia M. Arria, University of Maryland]
Free Classroom Materials for 6th-12th Grades
The White House Office of National Drug Control Policy has released a resource guide for evidence-based prevention programs in school settings. The resources included in this guide are available free from the federal government and can help educators protect students and schools from the impact of illicit substance use and misuse.
Lesson Plan and Activity Finder: Search for FREE classroom lessons that meet national standards by drug topic. Includes NIDA funded grant-created science curriculums, Scholastic, Brain Power, Mind Matters Series, and more!
National Drug and Alcohol Facts Week® (NDAFW) is coming January 21-26, 2020. NDAFW is a national health observance linking teens to science-based facts to SHATTER THE MYTHS® about drugs!
Resources for teens and teen influencers. Get the latest on how drugs affect the brain and body. Featuring videos, games, blog posts and more!
- Empowering Teens: NIDA Toolkit for Out of School Time
- The NIDA Science Fair Award
- Medical School Resources
- Presentation for Youth - Know the Risks: A Youth Guide to E-cigarettes – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The Human Brain:
Major Structures and Functions
- Anyone Can Become Addicted to Drugs (2:03)
- Drugs: Shatter The Myths (3:45)
- Why Are Drugs So Hard to Quit? (2:04)
- View More Videos
Get this Publication
Is it Time to Talk to Your Teen About Drug Use?
Science Highlight: Parenting programs lead to healthier behaviors (August 2019)
Share This Badge
Prescription Drug Abuse
Learn what you can do to
prevent medicine abuse at