In This Section
Find the latest science-based information about the health effects and consequences of drug use and addiction and resources for talking with kids about the impact of drug use on health.
Free Resources for Parents
Free Publications for Order
- Opioids Facts for Teens
- Marijuana Facts for Teens
- Marijuana Facts for Parents
- Science of Addiction
- Shatter the Myths
- En español
- View More Publications
Drug Facts (Fact Sheets)
- Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD) Study
- College-Age & Young Adults
- Commonly Abused Drugs Chart
- Emerging Trends
- Family Checkup: Positive Parenting Prevents Drug Abuse
- Keeping Youth Drug Free (SAMHSA, Online Publication)
- Opioids and Adolescents (Office of Adolescent Health)
- Preventing Drug Abuse Among Children and Adolescents: A Research-Based Guide for Parents, Educators, and Community Leaders, 2nd Edition
- Principles of Substance Abuse Prevention for Early Childhood
- Real-Life Drug Use Stories Blog Posts
- Safely Dispose of Your Prescription Medicines
- Scientists Answer Teens Most Popular Questions
- Some research suggests that secondhand e-cigarette device aerosols can exacerbate asthma symptoms, but more research is needed
Video: "Adolescent Substance Use, Addiction, and Treatment" with Sarah Bagley, M.D. (Office of Adolescent Health)
Free Classroom Materials for 6th-12th Grades
Lesson Plan and Activity Finder: Search for FREE classroom lessons that meet national standards by drug topic. Includes NIDA funded grant-created science curriculums, Scholastic, Brain Power, Mind Matters Series, and more!
National Drug and Alcohol Facts Week® (NDAFW) is coming January 22-27, 2019. NDAFW is a national health observance linking teens to science-based facts to SHATTER THE MYTHS® about drugs!
Resources for teens and teen influencers. Get the latest on how drugs affect the brain and body. Featuring videos, games, blog posts and more!
The Human Brain:
Major Structures and Functions
- Anyone Can Become Addicted to Drugs (2:03)
- Drugs: Shatter The Myths (3:45)
- Why Are Drugs So Hard to Quit? (2:04)
- View More Videos
Get this Publication
Is it Time to Talk to Your Teen About Drug Use?
Prescription Drug Abuse
Learn what you can do to
prevent medicine abuse at