In This Section
Find the latest science-based information about the health effects and consequences of drug abuse and addiction and resources for talking with kids about the impact of drug use on health.
Free Resources for Parents
- Family Checkup: Positive Parenting Prevents Drug Abuse
- Preventing Drug Abuse Among Children and Adolescents: A Research-Based Guide for Parents, Educators, and Community Leaders, 2nd Edition (En Español)
- Commonly Abused Drugs
- Spanish Only
- Free Publications for Order
- Step by Step Guides (En Español)
- Seeking Drug Abuse Treatment: Know What to Ask (En Español)
- Principles of Drug Abuse Treatment for Criminal Justice Populations
- Principles of Adolescent Substance Use Disorder Treatment: A Research-Based Guide
Free Classroom Materials for 6th-12th Grades
More Resources for Educators
- Brain Power (K-9th Grade)
- The NIDA Science Fair Award
- Medical School Resources
- Order Free Classroom Resources
NIDA Research Spotlight: "Sex, Drugs and Facebook"
Do you know where kids get access to prescription drugs? Learn the Rx Facts.
- The Human Brain: Major Structures and Functions (5:05)
- NIDA TV Spotlight: Communities That Care (4:19)
- NIDA Encourages Community Based Marijuana Research (2:07)
- Parents Discuss Drug Abuse and Addiction with Dr. Volkow, Director of NIDA (10:33)
- Addiction Science Videos
- 2014 Intel Addiction Science Winners
- Investigating Drug Abuse Videos
Get this Publication
Is it Time to Talk to Your Teen About Drug Use?
Prescription Drug Abuse
Learn what you can do to
prevent medicine abuse at