Congratulations! You have now completed Talking to Patients About Health Risk Behaviors (Unaccredited).
Motivational Interviewing Patient Simulation
The goal of the Patient Simulation is to provide a practical forum where motivational interviewing skills and techniques can be tested and reinforced. Click here to be directed to the Patient Simulation Program.
NIDA offers additional tools and resources for you and your patients, including:
Additional Motivational Interviewing Resources:
- Motivational Interviewing Assessment: Supervisory Tools for Enhancing Proficiency (MIA:STEP)
- Motivational Interviewing
- SAMHSA-HRSA Center for Integrated Health Solutions Motivational Interviewing
- SAMHSA's National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices
- SAMHSA TIP 35: Enhancing Motivation for Change in Substance Abuse Treatment
- Chlebowy DO, El-Mallakh P, Myers J, Kubiak N, Cloud R, Wall MP. Motivational interviewing to improve diabetes outcomes in African American adults with diabetes. West J Nurs Res. 2014 Apr 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- McKenzie K, Chang YP. The effect of nurse-led motivational interviewing on medication adherence in patients with bipolar disorder. Perspect Psychiatri Care. 2014 Jan 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Purath J, Keck A, Fitzgerald CE. Motivational interviewing for older adults in primary care: a systematic review. Geriatr Nurs. 2014 Mar 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Saftlas AF, Harland KK, Wallis AB, Cavanaugh J, Dickey P, Peek-Asa C. Motivational interviewing and intimate partner violence: a randomized trial. Ann Epidemiol. 2014;24:144-150.
- Latchford G. Year 3 motivational interviewing workshop. Leeds Teaching Hospitals. http://www.psychmap.org/uploads/Motivational%20Interviewing%20brief%20guide.pdf [PDF - 1.5 MB]. Accessed July 9, 2014.
- Miller WR. Motivational enhancement therapy with drug abusers. http://www.motivationalinterviewing.org/sites/default/files/METDrugAbuse.pdf [PDF - 306 KB]. Accessed July 9, 2014.
- Miller WR, Rollnick S. Motivational interviewing: Helping people change. 3rd ed. New York, NY: Guilford Press; 2013:161.
- American Counseling Association. ACA Blog: Recognizing "change talk" in your clients. http://www.counseling.org/news/blog/aca-blog/2012/02/16/recognizing-change-talk-in-your-clients. Accessed August 12, 2014.