Synthetic cathinones, more commonly known as "bath salts," are synthetic (human-made) drugs chemically related to cathinone, a stimulant found in the khat plant. Learn more
Statistics and Trends
Swipe left or right to scroll.
|Drug||Time Period||8th Graders||10th Graders||12th Graders|
|Bath Salts||Past Year||0.90||0.80||0.80|
- The Changing Face of Recreational Drug Use - Cerebrum (January 2016)
- Messages from the Director: "Bath Salts" - Emerging and Dangerous Products
- New findings on the active chemicals found in “bath salts” add justification to the growing health concern
- Sara Bellum Blog: Keep “Bath Salts” in the Tub (September, 2011)
- Office of National Drug Control Policy: Synthetic Drugs
- MEDLINEplus Health Information on Drug Abuse - National Library of Medicine, NIH
- www.abovetheinfluence.com - Office of National Drug Control Policy
- healthfinder.gov - U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Past information on many drugs of abuse is available on our Archives site.
Clinical trials are research studies in human volunteers conducted to answer specific health questions. Learn about the NIH-sponsored clinical trials available to you.
- NIDA Clinical Trial Locator - answer a few simple questions and get contact information for Clinical Trials near you.
Other Clinical Trials information sources:
- NIH Clinical Trials and You - NIH site that helps explain about clinical trials and why people participate.
- NIDA Trials at ClinicalTrials.gov - a resource of federally and privately supported clinical trials.
- Clinical Research Studies from the National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network (CTN) - a NIDA coordinated network of research institutions conducting human trials on drug abuse solutions.
- Research Studies at NIDA Intramural Research Program - located in Baltimore, Maryland.
Emerging Trends & Alerts
Get more information on Emerging Trends and Alerts, we will update this page with the latest research findings as they develop.
Get this Publication
Cite this article
NIDA. (2014, December 13). Synthetic Cathinones (Bath Salts). Retrieved from https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/synthetic-cathinones-bath-salts