Synthetic cannabinoids refer to a growing number of man-made mind-altering chemicals that are either sprayed on dried, shredded plant material so they can be smoked (herbal incense) or sold as liquids to be vaporized and inhaled in e-cigarettes and other devices (liquid incense). Learn more
- See our Emerging Trends Notice on Increasing Overdoses From Synthetic Cannabinoids (“Spice,” "K2,” etc.) in Several States
- See our Emerging Trends page for info on "Mojo" and "Cloud 9" synthetic cannabinoids.
- A synthetic cannabinoid product named Smacked! has been linked to at least 41 overdoses in New Hampshire since August 11, 2014, leading the governor of that state to declare a State of Emergency. For more information, see http://governor.nh.gov/media/news/2014/pr-2014-08-14-emergency.htm.
- New York City issued a public warning in late July, 2014 after an increase in emergency room visits related to synthetic cannabinoids. For more information, see http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/pr2014/pr023-14.shtml.
Statistics and Trends
Swipe left or right to scroll.
|Drug||Time Period||8th Graders||10th Graders||12th Graders|
|K2/Spice (Synthetic Marijuana)||Past Year||3.10||4.30||5.20|
- The Changing Face of Recreational Drug Use - Cerebrum (January 2016)
- Sara Bellum Blog: Spice: “If You Use It, You’re Experimenting on Yourself” (April 2012)
- Sara Bellum Blog: “Spice” – Not as Fun as it Sounds (February 2011)
- MEDLINEplus Health Information on Drug Abuse - National Library of Medicine, NIH
- www.abovetheinfluence.com - Office of National Drug Control Policy
- healthfinder.gov - U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Past information on many drugs of abuse is available on our Archives site.
Clinical trials are research studies in human volunteers conducted to answer specific health questions. Learn about the NIH-sponsored clinical trials available to you.
- NIDA Clinical Trial Locator - answer a few simple questions and get contact information for Clinical Trials near you.
Other Clinical Trials information sources:
- NIH Clinical Trials and You - NIH site that helps explain about clinical trials and why people participate.
- NIDA Trials at ClinicalTrials.gov - a resource of federally and privately supported clinical trials.
- Clinical Research Studies from the National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network (CTN) - a NIDA coordinated network of research institutions conducting human trials on drug abuse solutions.
- Research Studies at NIDA Intramural Research Program - located in Baltimore, Maryland.
Get more information on Emerging Trends, we will update this page with the latest research findings as they develop.
Get this Publication
Cite this article
APA style citation
National Institute on Drug Abuse. Synthetic Cannabinoids (K2/Spice) Retrieved from https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/synthetic-cannabinoids-k2spice