Anabolic steroids are synthetic variations of the male sex hormone testosterone. The proper term for these compounds is anabolic-androgenic steroids. "Anabolic" refers to muscle building, and "androgenic" refers to increased male sex characteristics. Learn about the health effects of anabolic steroids and read the DrugFacts.
- NIDA for Teens Drug Facts on Steroids, Anabolic - Offers resources for teens and teen influencers. Get the latest on how drugs affect the brain and body. Features videos, games, blog posts, and more!
- Monitoring the Future Survey Statistics on Steroids
- Message From the Director: Consequences of the Abuse of Anabolic Steroids (Archives) (March, 2005)
- ATLAS (Athletes Training and Learning to Avoid Steroids - for men) and ATHENA (Athletes Targeting Healthy Exercise and Nutrition Alternatives - for women) - (Oregon Health and Science University Web Site)
- MEDLINEplus Health Information on Substance Use Disorders (National Library of Medicine, NIH)
- Healthfinder.gov (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
Clinical trials are research studies in human volunteers conducted to answer specific health questions. Learn about the NIH-sponsored clinical trials available to you.