NIDA and the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) invite international substance abuse professionals to host events during the 2019 National Drug and Alcohol Facts Week® (NDAFW), to be held January 22–27. International schools are also invited to participate in Chat Day on January 24, 2019, where students in registered high schools may submit online questions about substance abuse to National Institutes of Health experts. NIDA and NIAAA cosponsor the international health information program that supports locally planned and hosted school and community events to provide teens with scientific facts about drugs and alcohol. Suggested activities from previous NDAFW event planners include:
- Conduct events with afterschool programs, clubs, or sports teams.
- Build drug and alcohol facts into creative assignments such as videos, art projects, and creative writing assignments, to be displayed during NDAFW.
- Use the morning announcements to shatter a different drug myth each day during NDAFW.
- Host an information session for parents and community members.
- Create a series of social media messages or posters to help youth understand the real statistics on drug and alcohol use.
For more information, see the NDAFW online guide.