In This Section
Find the latest science-based information about the health effects and consequences of drug abuse and addiction and resources for talking with kids about the impact of drug use on health.
Free Resources for Parents
NIDA Research Spotlight: "Sex, Drugs and Facebook"
- Family Checkup: Positive Parenting Prevents Drug Abuse
- NIDA TV Spotlight: Communities That Care (4:19)
- Parents Discuss Drug Abuse and Addiction with Dr. Volkow, Director of NIDA (10:33)
- Addiction Science Videos
- Marijuana: Facts Parents Need to Know (En Español)
- NIDA for Teens web site - Parents Section
- DrugFacts: High School and Youth Trends
- Preventing Drug Abuse Among Children and Adolescents: A Research-Based Guide for Parents, Educators, and Community Leaders, 2nd Edition (En Español)
- Drugs: Shatter the Myths
- Drugs of Abuse - Popular among teens
Free Resources for Teachers
Science Education Grant and Contract Information
Funded Grants and Contracts
- Science Education Drug Abuse Partnership Award (SEDAPA)
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR)
Current Science Education Funding Opportunities
- Science Education Drug Abuse Partnership Award (R25) – To develop and evaluate innovative model programs and materials for enhancing knowledge and understanding of neuroscience and the neurobiological mechanisms of drug abuse and addiction.
- Innovative Neuroscience K-12 Education (SBIR [R43/R44]) – To develop science education related programs and materials that focus on neuroscience topics.
- ¿Qué sabemos de la adicción? - Videos and presentation materials for a lesson in Spanish (Grades 9-12)
- Juventud latina - Hable con sus hijos sobre las drogas y sus peligros - Invites parents to learn more about drug abuse and to talk with their children about the dangers of drug abuse; presents information on a variety of topics in one brochure
Looking for Treatment?
Use the SAMHSA Treatment Locator or 1-800-662-HELP.
Is it Time to Talk to Your Teen About Drug Use?
Prescription Drug Abuse
Learn what you can do to
prevent medicine abuse at