- Henry-Edwards, S.; Humeniuk, R.; Ali, R.; Poznyak, V.; and Monteiro, M. The Alcohol, Smoking and Substance Involvement Screening Test (ASSIST): Guidelines for Use in Primary Care. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization (WHO), 2008. Available at: http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/activities/en/Draft_The_ASSIST_Guidelines.pdf (PDF, 246KB).
- Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention (SBI) for Trauma Patients: Committee on Trauma Quick Guide. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, DHHS Publication No. (SMA) 07-4266. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 2007.
- Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. A Guide to Substance Abuse Services for Primary Care Clinicians. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, Number 24. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, DHHS Publication No. (SMA) 97–3139. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1997. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK14386.
Brief Intervention Instruction and Additional Information:
- World Health Organization. Brief Intervention for Substance Use: A Manual for Use in Primary Care (PDF, 168KB)
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
SAMHSA's Treatment Facility Locator:
- Searchable directory of drug and alcohol treatment programs around the country that treat drug abuse, alcoholism, and alcohol abuse problems.
- Simply enter an address into the "quick search" feature, and you will see a list of substance abuse treatment facilities closest to the address. Additional instructions available at http://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/images/loc_short.pdf (PDF, 1.1MB)
NIDA's National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials
Resources on Certification in Office-Based Buprenorphine:
This publication is available for your use and may be reproduced in its entirety without permission from the NIDA. Citation of the source is appreciated, using the following language: Source: National Institute on Drug Abuse; National Institutes of Health; U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Cite this article
NIDA. (2012, March 1). Resource Guide: Screening for Drug Use in General Medical Settings. Retrieved from https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/resource-guide-screening-drug-use-in-general-medical-settings