- Baler, R.D., and Volkow, N.D. Drug addiction: The neurobiology of disrupted selfcontrol. Trends Mol Med 12(12):559–566, 2006.
- Baillargeon, J.; Giordano, T.P.; Rich, J.D.; Wu, Z.H.; Wells, K.; Pollock, B.H.; and Paar, D.P. Accessing antiretroviral therapy following release from prison. JAMA 301(8):848–857, 2009.
- Binswanger, I.A.; Stern, M.F.; Deyo, R.A.; Heagerty, P.J.; Cheadle, A.; Elmore, J.G.; and Koepsell, T.D. Release from prison—a high risk of death for former inmates. New Engl J Med 356(2):157–165, 2007.
- Butzin, C.A., O’Connell, D.J., Martin, S.S., and Inciardi, J.A. Effect of drug treatment during work release on new arrests and incarcerations. J Crim Justice 34(5):557– 565, 2006.
- Chandler, R.K; Fletcher; B.W.; and Volkow, N.D. Treating drug abuse and addiction in the criminal justice system: Improving public health and safety. JAMA 301(2):183– 190, 2009.
- Cooper, M.; Sabol, W.J; and West, H.C. Prisoners in 2008. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2010. Accessed at http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=1763, September 2011.
- Friedmann, P.D.; Rhodes, A.G.; and Taxman, F.S.; for the Step’n Out Research Group of CJ-DATS. Collaborative behavioral management: integration and intensification of parole and outpatient addiction treatment services in the Step’n Out study. J Exp Criminol 5(3):227–243, 2009.
- Glaze, L.E., and Herberman, E.J. Correctional Populations in the United States, 2012. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2013.
- Greenfield, S.F., Brooks, A.J., Gordon, S.M., Green, C.A., Kropp, F., McHugh, R.K., Lincoln, M., Hien, D., and Miele, G.M. Substance abuse treatment entry, retention, and outcome in women: a review of the literature. Drug Alcohol Depend 86:1–21, 2007.
- Karberg, J.C., and Mumola, C.J. Drug Use and Dependence, State and Federal Prisoners, 2004. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2006.
- Kinlock, T.W., Gordon, M.S., Schwartz, R.P., Fitzgerald, T.T., and O’Grady, K.E. A randomized clinical trial of methadone maintenance for prisoners: Results at 12 months post‑release. J Subst Abuse Treat 37(3):277–285, 2009.
- Leukefeld, C.G.; Tims, F.; and Farabee, D., Eds. Treatment of Drug Offenders: Policies and Issues. NY, NY: Springer, 2002.
- Martin, S.S.; Butzin, C.A.; Saum, C.A; and Inciardi, J.A. Three-year outcomes of therapeutic community treatment for drug-involved offenders in Delaware: From prison to work release to aftercare. The Prison Journal 79(3):294–320, 1999.
- McClelland, G.M., Elkington, K.S., Teplin, L.A., and Abram, K.M. Multiple substance use disorders in juvenile detainees. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 43(10):1215–1224, 2004a.
- McClelland, G.M.; Teplin, L.A.; and Abram, K.M. Detection and prevalence of substance use among juvenile detainees. Juvenile Justice Bulletin. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, 2004b.
- Messina, N.; Burdon, W.; Hagopian, G.; and Prendergast, M. Predictors of prison-based treatment outcomes: A comparison of men and women participants. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 32:7–28, 2006.
- Metzger, D.S.; Woody, G.E.; and O’Brien, C.P. Drug treatment as HIV prevention: A research update. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 55(suppl. 1):S32–S36, 2010.
- Montaner, J.S.; Wood, E.; Kerr, T.; Lima, V.; Barrios, R.; Shannon, K.; Harrigan, R.; and Hogg, R. Expanded highly active antiretroviral therapy coverage among HIVpositive drug users to improve individual and public health outcomes. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 55(suppl. 1):S5–S9, 2010.
- National Drug Intelligence Center. The Economic Impact of Illicit Drug Use on American Society. Washington, DC: United States Department of Justice, 2011.
- Pelissier, B.M., Camp, S.D., Gaes, G.G., Saylor, W.G., and Rhodes, W. Gender differences in outcomes from prison-based residential treatment. J Subst Abuse Treat 24(2), 149–160, 2003.
- Prendergast, M.L., Podus, D., Change, E., and Urada, D. The effectiveness of drug abuse treatment: A meta-analysis of comparison group studies. Drug Alcohol Depend 67(1):53–72, 2002.
- Puzzanchera, C. Juvenile Arrests 2008. Juvenile Justice Bulletin. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, 2009.
- Sabol, W.J., West, H.C., and Cooper, M. Prisoners in 2008. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2010.
- Spaulding, A.C., Seals, R.M., Page, M.J., Brzozowski, A.K., Rhodes, W., and Hammett, T.M. HIV/AIDS among inmates of and releases from U.S. correctional facilities, 2006: Declining share of epidemic but persistent public health opportunity. PLoS One 4(11):e7558, 2009.
- Staton, M.; Leukefeld, C.; and Webster, J.M. Substance use, health, and mental health: Problems and service utilization among incarcerated women. Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol 47(2):224–239, 2003.
- Taxman, F.S.; Perdoni, M.L.; and Harrison, L.D. Drug treatment services for adult offenders: The state of the state. J Subst Abuse Treat 32(3):239–254, 2007.
- Volkow, N.D., Wang, G.J., Fowler, J.S., Tomasi, D., Telang, F., and Baler, R. Addiction: decreased reward sensitivity and increased expectation sensitivity conspire to overwhelm the brain’s control circuit. Bioessays 32(9):748–755, 2010.
- Warren, J.; Gelb, A; Horowitz, J; and Riordan, J. One in 100: Behind Bars in America 2008. Washington, DC: The Pew Center on the States, The Pew Charitable Trusts, 2008.
- Zarkin, G.A.; Dunlap, L.J.; Wedehase, B.; and Cowell, A.J. The effect of alternative staff time data collection methods on drug treatment service cost estimates. Evaluation and Program Planning 31:427–435, 2008.
Cite this article
APA style citation
NIDA (2014). Principles of Drug Abuse Treatment for Criminal Justice Populations - A Research-Based Guide. Retrieved , from https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/principles-drug-abuse-treatment-criminal-justice-populations-research-based-guide