- Armstrong, S.J.; Allinson, C.A.; and Hayes, J. Formal mentoring systems: An examination of the effects of mentor/ protégé cognitive styles on the mentoring process. Journal of Management Studies 39(8):1111-1137, 2002.
- Barnett, B.G. Developing reflection and expertise: Can mentors make the difference? Journal of Educational Administration 33:45-59, 1995.
- Bennis, W. On Becoming a Leader. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley Publishing. 1994.
- Bhattacharjee, Y. Research Careers: Postdoc survey finds gender split on family issues. Science 318:897, 2007.
- Bland, C.J., and Ruffin, M.T. Successful Faculty in Academic Medicine. New York: Springer-Verlag. 1990.
- Bower, D.; Diehr, S.; Morzinski, J.; and Simpson, D. Mentoring Guidebook for Academic Physicians (2nd ed.). Milwaukee, WI: Center for Ambulatory Teaching Excellence, Department of Family and Community Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin. 1999.
- Bower, D.; Diehr, S.; Morzinski, J.; and Simpson, D. Support-challenge-vision: A model for faculty mentoring. Medical Teacher. 20(6):595-597, 1998.
- Chin, M.H.; Covinsky, K.E.; McDermott, M.M.; and Thomas, E.J. Building a research career in general internal medicine: A perspective from young investigators. Journal of General Internal Medicine 13:117-122, 1998.
- Daloz, L.A. Effective Teaching and Mentoring. San Francisco: Josey-Bass. 1986.
- Davis, G. Doctors without orders. American Scientist, 93(3, suppl.). 2005. Available at: https://www.sigmaxi.org/.
- Ehrich, L.C.; Hansford, B.; and Tennent, L. Formal mentoring programs in education and other professions: A review of the literature. Educational Administration Quarterly 40(4):518-540, 2004.
- Gill, T.M.; McDermott, M.M.; Ibrahim, S.A.; Peterson, L.A.; and Doebbeling, B.N. Getting funded: Career development awards for aspiring clinical investigators. Journal of General Internal Medicine 19:472-478, 2004.
- Hunt, D.M., and Michael, C. Mentorship: A career training and development tool. Academy of Management Review 8:475-485, 1983.
- Jacobi, M. Mentoring and undergraduate success: A literature review. Review of Educational Research 61(4):505-532, 1991.
- Johnson, W.B. The intentional mentor: Strategies and guidelines for the practice of mentoring. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice 33(1):88-96, 2002.
- Kram, K. Mentoring at Work: Developmental Relationships in Organizational Life. Glenview, IL: Scott Foresman and Co. 1985.
- Kram, K. Phases of the mentor relationship. Academy of Management Journal 26:608-625, 1983.
- Mertz, N.T. What's a mentor, anyway? Educational Administration Quarterly 40(4):541-560, 2004.
- Mervis, J. NIH wants its minority programs to train more academic researchers. Science 312:1119, 2006.
- National Research Council, Office of Scientific and Engineering Personnel, Committee on National Needs for Biomedical and Behavioral Scientists. Addressing the Nation's Changing Needs for Biomedical and Behavioral Scientists. Washington, DC: National Academies Press. 2000.
- National Institutes of Health, Office of the Director. A Guide to Training and Mentoring in the Intramural Research Program at NIH. (n.d.). Retrieved November 1, 2004, from https://oir.nih.gov/sites/default/files/uploads/sourcebook/documents/mentoring/guide-training_and_mentoring-10-08.pdf (PDF, 45KB).
- Raabe, B., and Beehr, T.A. Formal mentoring versus supervisor and coworker relationships: Differences in perceptions and impact. Journal of Organizational Behavior 24:271-293, 2003.
- Rabatin, J.S.; Lipkin, M., Jr.; Rubin, A.S.; Schachter, A.; Nathan, M.; and Kalet, A. Mentoring in academic medicine: A year of mentoring in academic medicine. Case report and qualitative analysis of fifteen hours of meetings between a junior and senior faculty member. Journal of General Internal Medicine 19:569-573, 2004.
- Saha, S.; Christakis, D.A.; Saint, S.; Whooley, M.A.; and Sjgion, S.R. A survival guide for generalist physicians in academic fellowships—Part 1: Getting started. Journal of General Internal Medicine 14:745-749, 1999.
- Selwa, L.M. Lessons in mentoring. Experimental Neurology 184:42-47, 2003.
- Tobin, M.J. Mentoring: Seven roles and some specifics. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 170:114-117, 2004.
- Zachary, L.J. The Mentor's Guide. San Francisco: John Wiley and Sons. 2000.
- American College of Epidemiology Policy Committee. The role of the epidemiologist in clinical and translational science. Annals of Epidemiology 16:409-410, 2006.
- Basinger, S., and Degutis, L. (eds.). Project MAINSTREAM Mentor Handbook. Providence, RI: AMERSA. 2003.
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund (BWF) and Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI). Making the Right Moves: A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty. HHMI and BWF. 2006. Available at: http://www.hhmi.org/educational-materials/lab-management.
- Committee on Science, Engineering and Public Policy. Adviser, Teacher, Role Model, Friend: On Being a Mentor to Students in Science and Engineering. Washington, DC: National Academy Press. 1997. Available at: http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=5789.
- Haggard, C. When your advisor stops advising. AWIS Magazine 35(1): 31-32, 2006.
- Marks, M.B., and Goldstein, R. The mentoring triad: Mentee, mentor and environment. Journal of Rheumatology 3(26):1-6, 2006.
- Morzinski, J.A.; Simpson, D.E.; Bower, D.J.; and Diehr, S. Faculty development through formal mentoring. Academic Medicine 69:267-269, 1994.
- Postdoctoral Fellows Focus Group. A 10-step plan for better postdoc training. The Scientist 20(1):24-25, 2006.
- Simpson, D., and Brown, D. The Medical College of Wisconsin Junior Faculty Mentor Program. 2004.
Cite this article
APA style citation
NIDA (). Mentoring: A Guide for Drug Abuse Researchers. Retrieved , from https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/mentoring-guide-drug-abuse-researchers