The lists below include resources for teachers and students.
Resources for Teachers
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
This Web site contains information about drug abuse and a section designed specifically for parents, teachers, and students.
- NIDA DrugPubs Research Dissemination Center
drugpubs.drugabuse.gov , 877-NIDA-NIH (877-643-2644; TTY/TDD: 240-645-0228)
Order our materials free of charge in English or Spanish.
- National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information (NCADI)
NCADI is operated by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). Many free publications are available here.
- Eisenhower National Clearinghouse (ENC)
This Web site provides useful information and products to improve mathematics and science teaching and learning.
Resources for Students
- Neuroscience for Kids
Presents the history of tobacco and cigarette smoking, nicotine addiction, and the effect of nicotine on the brain.
- Friedman, D. Focus on Drugs and the Brain. Frederick, MD: Twenty-First Century Books, 1990.
Part of the “Drug-Alert” series, this book gives a good overview of the brain, neurotransmission, the effects of drugs on the brain, and addiction.
- DeStefano, S. and Neuhaus, D. Focus on Medicines. Frederick, MD: Twenty-First Century Books, 1990.
Part of the “Drug-Alert” series, this book gives a good overview of medicines and how various medicines work with the body and brain to help heal.
- McGinty, A. Staying Healthy: Personal Safety (The Library of Healthy Living). New York, NY: Franklin Watts, Incorporated, 1999.
Written for young children, this book is a comprehensive overview of the importance of personal safety.
- Cosgrove, S. Crickle-Crack (Serendipity Books). New York, NY: Price Stern Sloan Publishing, 2001.
Crickle-Crack is the story of Squeakers, a young squirrel who is curious about a certain tree in the forest, even though he knows it is very dangerous.
Cite this article
NIDA. (2009, September 1). Brain Power: Grades K-1. Retrieved from https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/brain-power/brain-power-grades-k-1