In This Section
Find information for people struggling with drug abuse, as well as resources for their families and friends.
- What to do if you have a problem with drugs:
- What to do if someone you know has a problem with drugs:
- Seeking Drug Abuse Treatment: Know What To Ask - Offers guidance in seeking drug abuse treatment and lists five questions to ask when searching for a treatment program.
- Principles of Drug Abuse Treatment: A Research-Based Guide - Presents principles of addiction treatment for a variety of drugs, including nicotine, alcohol, and illicit and prescription drugs, that can inform drug treatment programs and services.
- Principles of Drug Abuse Treatment for Criminal Justice Populations - A Research-Based Guide - Discusses principles proven through research to help tailor treatment programs to better serve their populations..
- Substance Abuse among the Military, Veterans, and their Families - Explores the scope of substance abuse among the military, veterans, and their families, and discusses the research underway to better understand issues and identify solutions.
- Drugged Driving - resources on the dangers of impaired driving
- NIDA Quick Screen - an online screening tool that can be used to help you talk with your doctor.
- More About Treatment Research at NIDA
- Family Checkup: Positive Parenting Prevents Drug Abuse
- Prevention Research links
- Virtual Town Hall (video)
Anyone Can Become Addicted
A Patient's Perspective
To hear how one person in recovery views life, join us for a conversation with actor, author, and activist, Christopher Kennedy Lawford who, having overcome addiction, now advocates for others in recovery.
A Patient's Story
NIDA clinical trials bring a new life to a woman struggling with opioid addiction - the study hoped to determine if clonidine used with buprenorphine could help reduce stress-induced relapse in heroin users.
Get this Publication
Find information about addiction and mental health services in your area. You can search by state or zip code online or call the number.
Is it Time to Talk to Your Teen About Drug Use?
Prescription Drug Abuse
Learn what you can do to
prevent medicine abuse at
SAMHSA’s Knowledge Network
SAMHSA’s Knowledge Network is a comprehensive online resource of behavioral health training, technical assistance, and workforce development for the health care community.