Revised June 2017
On this page:
Resources include patient agreement and consent forms to guide opioid prescribing and the identification and care of patients with substance use disorder.
- Aberrant Drug Taking Behaviors Information Sheet (PDF, 98KB) - Resource listing behaviors more and less likely to indicate prescription medication abuse or addiction.
- Commonly Used Long-acting Opioids Chart (PDF, 365KB) - Chart listing strengths, dosing information, and brand names of commonly used opioid analgesics.
- Considerations for Prescribing Opioids (PDF, 152KB) - Presentation describing informed consent and monitoring considerations following initiation of prescription opioid therapy.
- How to Change Routes of Administration of Opioids (PDF, 193KB) - Dosing guidelines for use when changing routes of administration of commonly used opioid analgesics.
- Recognizing Opioid Abuse (PDF, 98KB) - Table listing common symptoms of prescription opioid abuse and/or addiction.
- Administering a Narcotic Contract - Web-based annotated video illustrating how to implement a narcotic contract with a patient.
- Sample Notification of Discontinuation of Opioid Treatment Form (Word, 82KB) : Form used to provide patients with information about why opioid treatment can no longer be provided and information about local treatment programs
- Knowing When to Say When: Transitioning Patients from Opioid Therapy: A 2-hour course that covers how to recognize aberrant drug-taking behaviors, strategies for monitoring patients, using a risk-benefit framework to help determine options for discontinuation of opioids, and strategies for transition patients off of opioids and how to treat opioid withdrawal symptoms, among other related content.
- Sample Informed Consent Form (PDF, 123KB) - Sample form for patient reference and consideration prior to initiation of opioid therapy for pain.
- Sample Patient Agreement Forms (PDF, 172KB) - Example forms detailing terms and conditions of long-term opioid therapy for pain.
- Overdose Risk in Young Children of Women Prescribed Opioids - American Academy of Pediatrics
- AAPA, ASAM and AANP now offering free training for Pas and NPS to treat opioid addiction - American Academy of Physician Assistants
- Academic Nursing Responds to Opioid Epidemic - American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- Safe Opioid Prescribing for Acute Dental Pain - American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- ACP issues recommendations to prevent and treat substance use disorders including opioid use disorder - American College of Physicians
- Opioids - American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- The ADA Guide to Practical Substance Use Disorders and Safe Prescribing - American Dental Association
- Opioids - American Osteopathic Association
- AAFP Gives Members New Tools to Combat Opioid Use - California Academy of Family Physicians
Get this Publication
Find information about addiction and mental health services in your area. You can search by state or zip code online or call the number.
SAMHSA’s Knowledge Network
SAMHSA’s Knowledge Network is a comprehensive online resource of behavioral health training, technical assistance, and workforce development for the health care community.