Revised June 2017
On this page:
Resources include patient agreement and consent forms to guide opioid prescribing and the identification and care of patients with substance use disorder.
- Aberrant Drug Taking Behaviors Information Sheet (PDF, 98KB) - Resource listing behaviors more and less likely to indicate prescription medication abuse or addiction.
- Commonly Used Long-acting Opioids Chart (PDF, 365KB) - Chart listing strengths, dosing information, and brand names of commonly used opioid analgesics.
- Considerations for Prescribing Opioids (PDF, 152KB) - Presentation describing informed consent and monitoring considerations following initiation of prescription opioid therapy.
- How to Change Routes of Administration of Opioids (PDF, 193KB) - Dosing guidelines for use when changing routes of administration of commonly used opioid analgesics.
- Recognizing Opioid Abuse (PDF, 98KB) - Table listing common symptoms of prescription opioid abuse and/or addiction.
- Administering a Narcotic Contract - Web-based annotated video illustrating how to implement a narcotic contract with a patient.
- Sample Notification of Discontinuation of Opioid Treatment Form (Word, 82KB) : Form used to provide patients with information about why opioid treatment can no longer be provided and information about local treatment programs
- Knowing When to Say When: Transitioning Patients from Opioid Therapy: A 2-hour course that covers how to recognize aberrant drug-taking behaviors, strategies for monitoring patients, using a risk-benefit framework to help determine options for discontinuation of opioids, and strategies for transition patients off of opioids and how to treat opioid withdrawal symptoms, among other related content.
- Sample Informed Consent Form (PDF, 123KB) - Sample form for patient reference and consideration prior to initiation of opioid therapy for pain.
- Sample Patient Agreement Forms (PDF, 172KB) - Example forms detailing terms and conditions of long-term opioid therapy for pain.
- Overdose Risk in Young Children of Women Prescribed Opioids - American Academy of Pediatrics
- AAPA, ASAM and AANP now offering free training for Pas and NPS to treat opioid addiction - American Academy of Physician Assistants
- Academic Nursing Responds to Opioid Epidemic - American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- AAPA, ASAM and AANP now offering free training for Pas and NPS to treat opioid addiction - American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Safe Opioid Prescribing for Acute Dental Pain - American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- ACP issues recommendations to prevent and treat substance use disorders including opioid use disorder - American College of Physicians
- Opioids - American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- The ADA Guide to Practical Substance Use Disorders and Safe Prescribing - American Dental Association
- Opioids - American Osteopathic Association
- AAFP Gives Members New Tools to Combat Opioid Use - California Academy of Family Physicians