Developed by faculty at leading medical universities, these patient case study materials encourage sound opioid prescribing practices and discussion, problem-based learning, and skills-based practice related to the identification and care of patients with substance use disorders.
Rx Drug Abuse
- A Faculty Development Workshop for Primary Care Preceptors - Case-based workshop for educators to inform training of students in evaluating and caring for patients at risk for prescription opioid abuse.
- Minimizing the Misuse of Prescription Opioids in Patients with Chronic Nonmalignant Pain - Case study that introduces participants to the safe and effective management of chronic pain while minimizing the risk of prescription drug misuse.
- Opioid Risk Management Objective Structured Clinical Exams (OSCE) - Materials for performance-based assessment of clinical skills related to managing patients receiving long-term opioid therapy for chronic pain.
- Patient-Centered Learning: Substance Abuse in a Physician—The Connor Johnson Case - Case study that introduces participants to the effects of chronic opioid use and withdrawal and highlights the issue of substance abuse among health care professionals.
- Prescription Drug Abuse Sample Case (PDF, 893KB) - Case study highlighting issues related to identification and management of patients exhibiting aberrant medication-seeking behavior.
- A Problem-Based Learning Case on Prescription Drug Abuse—Patient S. K. - Case study that introduces participants to diagnosis and management of prescription drug abuse and addiction in patients with chronic pain.
General Drug Abuse
- The Clinical Assessment of Substance Use Disorders Case Study - Web-based course module to inform screening, evaluation, intervention, and care for patients with substance use disorders in primary care.
- Talking to Patients About Sensitive Topics - Three sample cases that provide participants an opportunity to practice taking a medical history and discussing sensitive issues with patients.
Adolescent Drug Abuse
- Substance Use Disorders in Adolescents: Screening and Engagement in Primary Care Settings - Web-based course module that informs screening and brief intervention for adolescents at risk for substance use disorders.
- Clinical Vignettes on Methamphetamine (PDF, 377KB) - Three brief case studies depicting possible presentations of methamphetamine abuse or dependence and suggested acute management approaches.
- Two Problem-Based Learning Cases: Methamphetamine - Two case studies that introduce participants to clinical presentations of potential substance abuse problems in patients with comorbid mental disorders or pain.