Application Deadline: April 1
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) International Program and Clinical Trials Network (CTN) have joined forces to offer INVEST/CTN Fellowships to non-U.S. scientists who will work with a mentor affiliated with 1 of the 13 CTN Regional Research and Training Centers.
The INVEST/CTN Drug Abuse Research Fellowship combines postdoctoral research training in the United States with professional development activities and grant-writing guidance to form a unique program for drug abuse scientists. Fellows may conduct their research in any aspect of the CTN research agenda on drug abuse and addiction, such as intervention research, clinical trials methodology, or drug abuse treatment as HIV/AIDS prevention. Fellows and their mentors are encouraged to develop jointly and seek funding for a collaborative research project to be conducted in the fellow's home country. Fellows and their U.S. mentors are part of a network of international scientists who exchange information and collaborate on drug abuse research nationally, regionally, and globally.
What Does the Fellowship Include?
The 12-month fellowship provides:
- Rigorous postdoctoral research training with a NIDA grantee at 1 of the 13 CTN Regional Research and Training Centers.
- Professional development activities that help you establish personal relationships with NIDA grantees and NIDA officials who are willing to continue working with you after you return home.
- A stipend of $42,000US for living and personal expenses, round-trip travel, and a $6,000US allowance to cover the cost of health insurance and professional development activities.
Who Is Eligible?
The requirements for INVEST/CTN applicants are:
- An earned doctoral degree in medicine, public health, or biomedical, behavioral, or social sciences.
- A minimum of 2 years of postdoctoral research experience, including a demonstrated ability to engage in independent research.
- Written assurance from an institution in the home country that there is a position to which the applicant can return after completing the fellowship.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Citizenship or permanent residency in a country other than the United States.
- Living and working outside the United States at the time the application is submitted.
- Eligibility for the J-1 visa to enter the United States.
The requirements for INVEST/CTN mentors include:
- A current NIDA grant that will be active throughout the fellowship period.
- Affiliation with 1 of the Regional Research and Training Centers in the 13 CTN Nodes.
How Should I Apply?
The INVEST/CTN Drug Abuse Research Fellowship application requires careful and thorough coordination between the applicant and mentor:
- Contact a NIDA-supported researcher affiliated with 1 of the 13 CTN Regional Research and Training Centers who is willing to serve as a mentor. The mentor must be a current NIDA grantee.
- Notify the NIDA International Program of your plans to apply.
- Write a detailed research plan for working with the U.S. mentor on biomedical or behavioral research investigating the causes, consequences, prevention, or treatment of drug abuse and addiction.
- Complete and submit your application to the NIDA International Program.
How Can I Get Help in Finding a Mentor?
To find the mentor who is right for you, contact 1 of the Regional Research and Training Centers within the 13 CTN Nodes. To further refine your search, consult the online database of research projects supported by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) at http://projectreporter.nih.gov/reporter.cfm, review journals online at PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/), or email the NIDA International Program (email@example.com) or CTN (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance.
Application Deadline: April 1
Notification of Award: June 1
What Materials Should I Use To Apply?
Instruction and application materials for the INVEST/CTN Drug Abuse Research Fellowship can be downloaded from this Web site in Microsoft Word and Adobe PDF format.
- INVEST/CTN Drug Abuse Research Fellowship Instruction Packet
PDF Format (335KB)
MS Word Format (82KB)
- INVEST/CTN Drug Abuse Research Fellowship Application Packet
PDF Format (141KB)
MS Word Format (299KB)
To find a listing of previous INVEST/CTN Fellows and Mentors, view the Postdoctoral Drug Abuse Research Fellow and Mentor Chart as listed on the Fellowships for Postdoctoral Training page.
Get this Publication
Contact the NIDA International Program