Revised June 2018
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) is the lead federal agency supporting scientific research on drug use and its consequences. Our mission is to advance science on the causes and consequences of drug use and addiction and to apply that knowledge to improve individual and public health through:
- Strategically supporting and conducting basic and clinical research on drug use, its consequences, and the underlying neurobiological, behavioral, and social mechanisms involved.
- Ensuring the effective translation, implementation, and dissemination of scientific research findings to improve the prevention and treatment of substance use disorders and enhance public awareness of addiction as a brain disorder.
Funding decisions will be based primarily on the programmatic priorities of the Institute and scientific merit of the application. NIDA continues to give additional consideration to New Investigators and Early Stage Investigators https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-17-101.html.
Information regarding FY 2018 NIH Extramural Financial Operations can be found at:
- NIH Fiscal Policy for Grant Awards – FY 2018: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-18-180.html
- NRSA Stipends for FY 2018: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-18-175.html
- Salary Limitations: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-18-137.html
NIDA has established the following funding policy for FY 2018.
NIDA may reduce competing awards from the IRG recommended levels in order to increase the number of awards issued.
- New and competing awards will be funded at approximately the same average cost as FY 17.
- In general renewal grants should not increase by more than 10% over the prior year’s award.
Non-Competing Continuations Awards:
Consistent with overall NIH policy:
- Non-competing continuation awards for RPGs and Centers will be funded at committed levels.
- FY 2018 awards that had been issued at 90% of committed level were revised to adjust the award level.
- Future year commitments will remain unchanged.