Revised October 2015
- Drugs & Health Teaching Guides: Teen Drug Abuse - Provides educators with 4 groups of related blog posts that complement health curricula about drug abuse.
- PEERx Educators Guide - NIDA's PEERx Educators Guide provides a central listing of NIDA's teen prescription drug abuse resources.
- Drugs & Health Blog - Short and topical posts to help teens to make healthy, smart decisions (Grades 6-12)
- PEERx: Rx Facts - We're busting the myths and misconceptions about prescription drug abuse.
- Brain Power! The NIDA Junior Scientist Program (Grades 6-9)
- Mind Over Matter- The effects of drug abuse on the body and brain (Grades 5-9)
- Addiction: Hijacking the Brain – Lecture series about the neurobiology of addiction
- ONE-DA – Biology course on addiction and drug abuse
- Science Education Enhances Knowledge (SEEK) About Tobacco – Education module on tobacco products and nicotine addiction for health classes
- Life Sciences Learning Center – Innovative curriculum on drug abuse and addiction for high school biology courses
- BrainU – Inquiry-based neuroscience education program on the biological basis of drug addiction
- The Pharmacology Education Partnership – Online series of curriculum modules on drug abuse for students and teachers
- The New Science of Addiction: Genetics and the Brain - A web based curriculum that uses genetics to enhance teacher and student understanding of the neurobiology of addiction
- The Brain: Understanding Neurobiology Through the Study of Addiction - Equips teachers and students in grades 9 through 12 with interactive curriculum on the neurobiology of the brain as a result of drug abuse and addiction.
Winning Experiments from NIH Lessons About Bioscience (LAB) Challenge
The NIH Office of Science Education in collaboration with various NIH Institutes and Centers, put out a call to the nation to help bring engaging hands-on scientific experiments into the classroom. (http://science.education.nih.gov/index.html).
Winning experiments include:
- Exploring Genetic Inheritance in Drosophila - by Franklin Carrero-Martinez, University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus
- Toxicity Testing: The Effect of Chemicals on Radish Seeds - by David Vannier, Office of Science Education, NIH, Bethesda
- Isolation of Strawberry DNA Using Household Products - by Carla Easter, National Human Genome Research Institute, Bethesda, MD