Revised February 2018
Opioid-Related Overdose Deaths
In 2016, there were 466 opioid-related overdose deaths in Utah—a rate of 16.4 deaths per 100,000 persons and more than the national rate of 13.3 deaths per 100,000 persons.
Opioid Pain Reliever Prescriptions
In 2015, Utah providers wrote 73.1 opioid prescriptions per 100 persons (2.2 million prescriptions). In the same year, the average U.S. rate was 70 opioid prescriptions per 100 persons (IMS Health, 2016).
Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS)
The incidence of NAS in Utah has increased from 0.8 cases per 1,000 births in 2000 to 4.1 cases per 1,000 births in 2011, a more than five-fold increase. The average across the 28 states included in the 2013 analysis was 6.0 cases per 1,000 births (CDC, MMWR, 2014).
HIV Prevalence and HIV Diagnoses Attributed to Injection Drug Use (IDU)
- U.S. Incidence: In 2015, 9.1 percent (3,5941) of the 39,513 new diagnoses of HIV in the United States were attributed to IDU. Among new cases, 8.2 percent (2,6141) of cases among men and 13.2 percent (980) of cases among women were transmitted via IDU (CDC).
- U.S. Prevalence: In 2014, 955,081 Americans were living with a diagnosed HIV infection—a rate of 299.5 per 100,000 persons. Of these, 18.1 percent (131,0561) of males and 22.6 percent (52,013) of females were living with HIV attributed to IDU (CDC).
- State Incidence: Of the new HIV cases in 2015, 116 occurred in Utah, with 18.7 percent1 of new cases in males and 16.7 percent of new cases in females attributed to IDU (AIDSVu).
- State Prevalence: In 2014, an estimated 2,618 persons were living with a diagnosed HIV infection in Utah—a rate of 115 infections per 100,000 persons. Of these, 24.7 percent1 of males and 27.4 percent of females were living with HIV attributed to IDU (AIDSVu).
Hepatitis C (HCV) Prevalence and HCV Diagnoses Attributed to Injection Drug Use
- U.S. Incidence: In 2015, there were 181,871 reported cases of chronic HCV and 33,900 estimated cases of acute HCV2 (CDC). Where data were available, 64.2 percent of acute cases reported IDU (CDC).
- U.S. Prevalence: An estimated 3.5 million Americans are living with HCV, including approximately 2.7 million living with chronic infections (CDC).
- State Incidence: In 2014, Utah reported 35 cases of acute HCV and 1,507 cases of chronic HCV at a rate of 1.2 cases per 100,000 persons and 51.1 cases per 100,000 persons, respectively (health.utah.gov).
- State Prevalence: As of 2010, an estimated 17,600 persons were living with HCV in Utah (HepVu).
- Utah Department of Health, Prescription Drug Overdoses
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Opioid Overdose
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Annual Surveillance Report of Drug-Related Risks and Outcomes (2017)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Behavioral Health Barometer Utah, Volume 4 (2017)
- Includes transmission to individuals with injection drug use as a risk factor.
- 2015 estimate after adjusting for under-ascertainment and under-reporting. Data for 2015 were unavailable for Alaska, Arizona, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Iowa, Mississippi, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Wyoming.
Emerging Trends & Alerts
Get more information on Emerging Trends and Alerts, we will update this page with the latest research findings as they develop.
Get this Publication
NIH Addresses the Opioid Crisis
New Opioid Overdose Materials for Patients
Find information about addiction and mental health services in your area. You can search by state or zip code online or call the number.