Marijuana refers to the dried leaves, flowers, stems, and seeds from the hemp plant, Cannabis sativa. The plant contains the mind-altering chemical delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and other related compounds. Extracts can also be made from the cannabis plant. Read the DrugFacts
- Research Report on Marijuana
- NIDA's Role in Providing Marijuana for Research
- NIDA Research on Marijuana and Cannabinoids
- NIH Research on Marijuana and Cannabinoids
- DrugFacts: Marijuana as Medicine
- Health Effects of Marijuana
Statistics and Trends
Swipe left or right to scroll.
|Drug||Time Period||8th Graders||10th Graders||12th Graders|
Swipe left or right to scroll.
|Drug||Time Period||Ages 12 or Older||Ages 12 to 17||Ages 18 to 25||Ages 26 or Older|
- I-Science: #CPDD What's Hot - Mothers and Marijuana Use (October 2015)
- I-Science: #CPDD What's Hot - Breastfeeding and Marijuana Use (August 2015)
- NIDA Encourages Community Based Marijuana Research (November 2014)
- Mixed Signals: The Administration’s Policy on Marijuana, Part Four -- Scientific Focus on the Adverse Health Effects of Marijuana Use (Testimony to Congress, June 2014)
- Marijuana: Facts for Teens
- Marijuana: Download the Facts Poster (Teaching Guide)
- Heads Up: Real News About Drugs and Your Body- Year 11-12 Compilation for Students
- Heads Up: Real News About Drugs and Your Body- Year 11-12 Compilation for Teachers
- Marijuana’s Lasting Effects on the Brain, (Message from the NIDA Director, September 2012)
- NIDA for Teens: Marijuana
- MEDLINEplus Health Information on Drug Abuse - National Library of Medicine, NIH
- www.abovetheinfluence.com - Office of National Drug Control Policy
- healthfinder.gov - U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Past information on many drugs of abuse is available on our Archives site.
Clinical trials are research studies in human volunteers conducted to answer specific health questions. Learn about the NIH-sponsored clinical trials available to you.
- NIDA Clinical Trial Locator - answer a few simple questions and get contact information for Clinical Trials near you.
Other Clinical Trials information sources:
- NIH Clinical Trials and You - NIH site that helps explain about clinical trials and why people participate.
- NIDA Trials at ClinicalTrials.gov - a resource of federally and privately supported clinical trials.
- Clinical Research Studies from the National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network (CTN) - a NIDA coordinated network of research institutions conducting human trials on drug abuse solutions.
- Research Studies at NIDA Intramural Research Program - located in Baltimore, Maryland.
Emerging Trends & Alerts
Get more information on Emerging Trends and Alerts, we will update this page with the latest research findings as they develop.
Get this Publication
Cite this article
NIDA. (). Marijuana. Retrieved from https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/marijuana
Other Articles of Interest
Explores the latest research on marijuana, including the scope of marijuana use in the U.S., health consequences, its effects on every-day activities, available treatments.