What We Do:
In DNB, our mission is to advance the science of drug use and addiction through basic and clinical research. The Division supports basic and clinical biomedical neuroscience and behavioral research to address the public health problem of drug use and addiction. DNB accomplishes this mission by developing and supporting an extramural research program that provides an understanding of the neurobiological and behavioral mechanisms of drugs of abuse and their consequences. The research supported by DNB provides important fundamental information to prevent and/or intervene in drug use and addiction.
Our strategic directions include five main goals to promote basic research that applies state-of-the-art science and technologies to advance our understanding of the mechanisms mediating drug use and addiction:
- Validate targets and develop ligands to accelerate the discovery and development of pharmacotherapies for drug addiction.
- Determine the molecular (genetic and epigenetic) and cellular basis of addiction vulnerability.
- Identify the neural circuits and connections underlying drug addiction behaviors and their functional properties.
- Identify behavioral processes that underlie drug use and addiction.
- Promote cross-cutting NIDA priorities in the areas of HIV/AIDS, pain, sex differences, novel technologies, and Big Data in computational neuroscience.
The Division also supports training to increase the number of highly trained research investigators in the drug abuse field.
- See more on our Program areas.
- View our Strategic Directions.
- See more on our DNB Discovery Program: Identification and Validation of Novel Targets, Assays, Technologies and Compounds
- Office of the DNB Director (OD)
- Integrative Neuroscience Branch (INB)
- Chemistry and Pharmacology Branch (CP)
- Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience Branch (BCN)
- Genetics, Epigenetics and Development Neuroscience Branch (GEDN)
Related Funding Opportunities:
Division of Neuroscience and Behavior
National Institute on Drug Abuse
6001 Executive Blvd., Rm 4282, MSC 9555
Bethesda, MD 20892-9555
Rockville, MD 20852 (for Package Deliveries)
(301) 594-6043 (fax)