This is subject to the prior approval of NIDA program and grants management staff and must occur prior to the expiration of the competitive segment. We strongly encourage you to contact both your NIDA Program Officer and your NIDA Grants Specialist as soon as you begin planning to make such a move. The timing of your transfer request can have significant implications. The telephone number and email address of your NIDA Program Officer and your NIDA Grants Specialist are on your Notice of Award and are also available here, at NIH NED.
NIDA recommends that you begin the formal process of requesting the transfer of your grant at least sixty days in advance of your move to the new institution.
A change of grantee organization may be requested when the original grantee has agreed to relinquish responsibility for the grant before the expiration of the approved project period. The project under the same Principal Investigator may be supported at a new organization for a period up to the remainder of the previously approved project period in an amount not to exceed that previously recommended for direct costs, plus the applicable facilities and administrative (F&A) costs for the new organization for the remaining project period. However, the total amount for the new organization will be contingent on the availability of funds.
A request to transfer a grant requires the submission of information, signed by authorized officials, from both the current grantee organization and the proposed new grantee organization. The materials must be submitted in PDF via email to the NIDA grants management specialist.
The current grantee institution must submit an "Official Statement Relinquishing Interests and Rights in a Public Health Service Research Grant," (PHS 3734, available in Word at PHS 3734 or in Adobe at PHS 3734 and an HHS Final Invention Statement (HHS 568).
The PHS 398 forms are available here:http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/phs398/phs398.html
The organization requesting to assume the grant must submit in PDF format the following completed documentation:
- PHS 398 form Page 1: Face Page
- Resources Format Page: A resources page including a description of the facilities at the new organization and an assurance that and the facilities and resources at the new organization will allow for successful performance of the project.
- A discussion on the effect of the move on the project, and an assurance that the requested change will have no significant change on the approved research objectives.
If the competing application has a non-modular/categorical budget:
- Mid-year Transfer: Please submit a detailed budget for the transfer budget period and include a budget for future year commitments if applicable. Please note that the transfer budget (direct costs plus F&A) should not exceed the Total Costs relinquished from the previous institution).
- Anniversary Date Transfer: please submit a detailed 12-month budget for the noncompeting budget period and include future year commitments if applicable. Please note that future year commitments should be based on the previously established direct cost levels.
- If the competing application has a modular budget:
- Mid-year Transfer: Please submit a modular budget for the transfer budget period and include a budget for future year commitments if applicable.
- Anniversary Date Transfer: Please submit a modular budget for the noncompeting budget period and include future year commitments if applicable. Please note that future year commitments should be based on the previously established direct cost levels.
- If the competing application has a non-modular/categorical budget:
- A statement concerning the current research plan and an indication of whether the original plan has changed.
- Updated Biographical Sketch Format Pages for new key personnel.
- Updated Other Support pages all key personnel (if applicable).
- A completed PHS 398 Checklist Form Page.
- Certification of IRB/IACUC approval, if applicable
- Using the Continuation Format Page, include detailed list of any equipment purchased with grant funds being transferred to the new organization. The inclusion of this list in the transfer application from the new organization indicates its acceptance of title to that equipment.
A change of grantee organization request must be made before the anticipated start date at the new organization and preferably several months in advance. Failure to provide timely notification may result in disapproval of the request or a delay in processing.
A change of grantee request normally will be permitted only when all of the permanent benefits attributable to the original grant can be transferred, including equipment purchased in whole or in part with grant funds. In reviewing a request to transfer a grant, NIH will consider whether there is a continued need for the grant-supported project or activity and the impact of any proposed changes in the scope of the project.
A change of grantee organization may involve the transfer of equipment purchased with grant funds. The transfer may be accomplished as part of the original grantee's relinquishment of the grant; otherwise, NIH reserves the right to transfer title to equipment to the new organization as indicated in "Administrative Requirements–Management Systems and Procedures–Property Management System Standards."