Drug abuse and addiction have been inextricably linked with HIV/AIDS since the beginning of the epidemic. The link has to do with heightened risk—both of contracting and transmitting HIV and of worsening its consequences. Learn more
Learn about how NIDA’s AIDS Research Program supports an innovative and multidisciplinary HIV/AIDS research portfolio.
The Role of Synthetic Cannabinoids in treating HIV
Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Synthetic Cannabinoids
- HIV.drugabuse.gov - Learn the link between drug abuse and the spread of the HIV infection
- d'cisions - A series of Webisodes designed to educate teens and young adults on the link between non-injection drug use and HIV transmission
- "Text Message" and "After the Party" (Public Service Announcements)
- Jack and Jill (Public Service Announcement)
- Message from the NIDA Director - HIV/AIDS and Drug Abuse - World AIDS Day 2011
- International AIDS Conference - July 18-23, 2010
- Drug Abuse and Risky Behaviors: The Evolving Dynamics of HIV AIDS - Meeting on May 8-9, 2007
- For additional information on HIV/AIDS, please visit:
As a result of scientific research, we know that addiction is a disease that affects both brain and behavior.