- Carroll, J.F.X.; McGovern, J.J.; McGinley, J.J.; Torres, J.C.; Walker, J.R.; Pagan, E.S.; and Biafora, F.A. A program evaluation study of a nursing home operated as a modified therapeutic community for chemically dependent persons with AIDS. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 18:373-386, 2000.
- Condelli, W.S., and Hubbard, R.L. Relationship between time spent in treatment and client outcomes from therapeutic communities. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 11:25-33, 1994.
- Daley, M.; Argeriou, M.; McCarty, D.; Callahan, J.J.; Shepard, D.S.; and Williams, C.N. The costs of crime and the benefits of substance abuse treatment for pregnant women. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 19:445-458, 2000.
- De Leon, G. The Therapeutic Community: Theory, Model, and Method. New York: Springer Publishing Company, 2000.
- De Leon, G.; Hawke, J.; Jainchill, N.; and Melnick, G. Therapeutic communities. Enhancing retention in treatment using "Senior Professor" staff. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 19:375-82, 2000.
- De Leon, G.; Melnick, G.; Thomas, G.; Kressel, D.; and Wexler, H.K. Motivation for treatment in a prison-based therapeutic community. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse 26:33-46, 2000.
- De Leon, G.; Sacks, S.; Staines, G.; and McKendrick, K. Modified therapeutic community for homeless mentally ill chemical abusers: Treatment outcomes. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse 26(3):461-480, 2000.
- Etheridge, R.M.; Hubbard, R.L.; Anderson, J.; Craddock, S.G.; and Flynn, P.M. Treatment structure and program services in the Drug Abuse Treatment Outcome Study (DATOS). Psychology of Addictive Behaviors 11:244-260, 1997.
- French, M.T.; Sacks, S.; De Leon, G.; Staines, G.; and McKendrick, K. Modified therapeutic community for mentally ill chemical abusers: Outcomes and costs. Evaluation & the Health Professions 22:60-85, 1999.
- Grella, C.E.; Polinsky, M.L.; Hser, Y.-I.; and Perry, S.M. Characteristics of women-only and mixed-gender drug abuse treatment programs. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 17:37-44, 1999.
- Guydish, J.; Sorensen, J.L.; Werdegar, D.; Chan, M.; Bostron, A.; and Acampora, A. A randomized trial comparing day and residential drug abuse treatment: 18-month outcomes. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 67:428-434, 1999.
- Hiller, M.L.; Knight, K.; Broome, K.M.; and Simpson, D.D. Legal pressure and treatment retention in a national sample of long-term residential programs. Criminal Justice and Behavior 25:463-481, 1998.
- Hser, Y.I.; Grella, C.E.; Hubbard, R.L.; Hsieh, S.C.; Fletcher, B.W.; Brown, B.S.; and Anglin, D. An evaluation of drug treatments for adolescents in 4 U.S. cities. Archives of General Psychiatry 58:689-695, 2001.
- Inciardi, J.A.; Martin, S.S.; and Surratt, H.L. Therapeutic Communities in Prisons and Work Release: Effective Modalities for Drug Involved Offenders. Therapeutic Communities for the Treatment of Drug Users. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 241-256, 2001.
- Jainchill, N. Therapeutic communities for adolescents: The same and not the same. In: DeLeon, G. (ed). Community as Method. Westport, CT: Praeger, 161-177, 1997.
- Jainchill, N.; Hawke, J.; De Leon, G.; and Yagelka, J. Adolescents in TCs: One year post-treatment outcomes. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 32(1):81-94, 2000.
- Liberty, H.J.; Johnson, B.D.; Jainchill, N.; Ryder, J.; Messina, M.; Reynolds, S.; and Hossain, M. Dynamic recovery: Comparative study of therapeutic communities in homeless shelters for men. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 15:401-423, 1998.
- Martin, S.S.; Butzin, C.A.; Saum, C.A.; and Inciardi, J.A. Three year outcomes of therapeutic community treatment for drug involved offenders in Delaware: From prison to work release to aftercare. The Prison Journal 79(3):294-320, 1999.
- McCusker, J.; Stoddard, A.M.; Hindin, R.N.; Garfield, F.B.; and Frost, R. Changes in HIV risk behavior following alternative residential programs of drug abuse treatment and AIDS education. Annals of Epidemiology 6:119-125, 1996.
- McGeary, K.A.; French, M.T.; Sacks, S.; McKendrick, K.; and De Leon, G. Service use and cost by mentally ill chemical abusers: Differences by retention in a therapeutic community. Journal of Substance Abuse 11(3):265-279, 2000.
- McLellan, A.T.; Lewis, D.C.; O'Brien, C.P.; and Kleber H.D. Drug dependence, a chronic medical illness. Implications for treatment, insurance, and outcomes evaluation. JAMA 284:1689-1695, 2000.
- Mierlak, D.; Galanter, M.; Spivak, N.; Dermatis, H.; Jurewicz, E.; and De Leon, G. Modified therapeutic community treatment for homeless dually diagnosed men. Who completes treatment? Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 15:117-121, 1998.
- Morral, A.; Reti, M.; McCaffrey, D.; and Ridgeway, G. Phoenix Academy treatment outcomes: Preliminary findings from the adolescent outcomes study. NIDA Research Monograph 182:111-112, 2001.
- Nemes, S.; Wish, E.D.; and Messina, N. Comparing the impact of standard and abbreviated treatment in a therapeutic community. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 17:339-347, 1999.
- Sargent, R.; Sorensen, J.L.; Greenberg, B., Evans, G.; and Acampora, A.P. Residential detoxification for substance abusers with HIV/AIDS. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 16:87-95, 1999.
- Sia, T.L.; Dansereau, D.F.; and Czuchry, M.L. Treatment readiness training and probationers' evaluation of substance abuse treatment in a criminal justice setting. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 19:459-467, 2000.
- Simpson, D.D.; Joe, G.W.; and Brown, B.S. Treatment retention and follow-up outcomes in the Drug Abuse Treatment Outcome Study (DATOS). Psychology of Addictive Behaviors 11:294-307, 1997.
- Simpson, D.D.; Joe G.W.; Fletcher, B.W.; Hubbard, R.L.; and Anglin, M.D. A national evaluation of treatment outcomes for cocaine dependence. Archives of General Psychiatry 56:507-514, 1999.
- Wexler, H.K.; De Leon, G.; Thomas, G.; Kressel, D.; and Peters, J. The Amity prison TC evaluation. Criminal Justice and Behavior 26:147-167, 1999.
- Wexler, H.K.; Melnick, G.; Lowe, L.; and Peters, J. Three-year reincarceration outcomes for Amity in-prison therapeutic community and aftercare in California. Prison Journal 79:321-336, 1999.
- Woods, W.J.; Guydish, J.R.; Sorensen, J.L.; Coutts, A.; Bostrom, A.; and Acampora, A. Changes in HIV-related risk behaviors following drug abuse treatment. AIDS 13:2151-2155, 1999.
This series of reports simplifies the science of research findings for the educated lay public, legislators, educational groups, and practitioners. The series reports on research findings of national interest.
As a result of scientific research, we know that addiction is a disease that affects both brain and behavior.