- Biederman J, Monuteaux MC, Spencer T, Wilens TE, Macpherson HA, Faraone SV. Stimulant therapy and risk for subsequent substance use disorders in male adults with ADHD: A naturalistic controlled 10-year follow up study. Am J Psychiatry 165(5):597-603, 2008.
- Brady KT, Verduin ML. Pharmacotherapy of comorbid mood, anxiety, and substance use disorders. Subst Use Misuse 40:2021-2041, 2043-2048, 2005.
- Caspi A, Moffitt TE, Cannon M, McClay J, Murray R, Harrington H, Taylor A, Arseneault L, Williams B, Braithwaite A, Poulton R, and Craig IW. Moderation of the effect of adolescent-onset cannabis use on adult psychosis by a functional polymorphism in the catechol-O-methyltransferase gene: Longitudinal evidence of a gene x environment interaction. Biol Psychiatry 57(10):1117-1127, 2005.
- Compton WM, Conway KP, Stinson FS, Colliver JD, Grant BF. Prevalence, correlates, and comorbidity of DSM-IV antisocial personality syndromes and alcohol and specific drug use disorders in the United States: Results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. J Clin Psychiatry 66(6):677-685, 2005.
- Conway KP, Compton W, Stinson FS, Grant BF. Lifetime comorbidity of DSM-IV mood and anxiety disorders and specific drug use disorders: Results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. J Clin Psychiatry 67(2):247-257, 2006.
- James DJ and Glaze E. Mental health problems of prison and jail inmates. Bureau of Justice Statistics Special Report. U.S. Department of Justice, 2006: available at http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/mhppji.pdf (PDF, 290KB).
- Kessler RC. The epidemiology of dual diagnosis. Biol Psychiatry 56:730-737, 2004.
- Lasser K, Boyd JW, Woolhandler S, Himmelstein DU, McCormick D, Bor DH. Smoking and mental illness: A population-based prevalence study. JAMA 284(20):2606-2610, 2000.
- Mannuzza S, Klein RG, Truong NL, Moulton JL, III, Roizen ER, Howell KH, Castellanos FX. Age of methylphenidate treatment initiation in children with ADHD and later substance abuse: Prospective follow-up into adulthood. Am J Psychiatry 165(5):604-609, 2008.
- Negrete JC. Clinical aspects of substance abuse in persons with schizophrenia. Can J Psychiatry 48(1):14-21, 2003.
- Nestler EJ, Carlezon WA, Jr. The mesolimbic dopamine reward circuit in depression. Biol Psychiatry 59(12): 1151-1159, 2006.
- Quello SB, Brady KT, Sonne SC. Mood disorders and substance abuse disorders: A complex comorbidity. Science & Practice Perspectives 3(1):13-24, 2005.
- Rand Corporation. News Release, April 17, 2008: One in five Iraq and Afghanistan veterans suffer from PTSD or major depression. Retrieved July 19, 2010 from http://www.rand.org/news/press/2008/04/17/.
- Rand Corporation. Online Summary: Invisible wounds of war—Psychological and cognitive injuries, their consequences, and services to assist recovery (T. Tanielian and L. Jaycox, eds). Retrieved July 19, 2010 from http://www.rand.org/pubs/monographs/MG720.html.
- Riggs PD. Treating adolescents for substance abuse and comorbid psychiatric disorders. Science & Practice Perspectives 2(1):18-28, 2003.
- Saal D, Dong Y, Bonci A, Malenka RC. Drugs of abuse and stress trigger a common synaptic adaptation in dopamine neurons. Neuron 37(4): 577-582, 2003.
- Uhl GR, Grow RW. The burden of complex genetics in brain disorders. Arch Gen Psychiatry 61(3):223-229, 2004.
- Volkow ND. The reality of comorbidity: Depression and drug abuse. Biol Psychiatry 56(10):714-717, 2004.
- Volkow ND, Li T-K. Drug addiction: The neurobiology of behavior gone awry. Nat Rev Neurosc 5(12):963-970, 2004.
- Weiss RD, Griffin ML, Kolodziej ME, Greenfield SF, Najavits LM, Daley DC, Doreau HR, and Hennen JA. A randomized trial of integrated group therapy versus group drug counseling for patients with bipolar disorder and substance dependence. Am J Psychiatry 164(1):100-107, 2007.
- Wilens TE, Faraone SV, Biederman J, Gunawardene S. Does stimulant therapy of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder beget later substance abuse? A meta-analytic review of the literature. Pediatrics 111(1):179-185, 2003.
Cite this article
APA style citation
National Institute on Drug Abuse (2010). References . In Comorbidity: Addiction and Other Mental Illnesses. Retrieved from http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/comorbidity-addiction-other-mental-illnesses/references
This series of reports simplifies the science of research findings for the educated lay public, legislators, educational groups, and practitioners. The series reports on research findings of national interest.