- Bahrke MS, Yesalis CE, Wright JE. Psychological and behavioral effects of endogenous testosterone and anabolic-androgenic steroids: an update. Sports Med 22(6):367–390, 1996.
- Berning JM, Adams KJ, Stamford BA. Anabolic steroid usage in athletics: facts, fiction, and public relations. J Strength Conditioning Res 18(4):908–917, 2004.
- Blue JG, Lombardo JA. Steroids and steroid-like compounds. Clin Sports Med 18(3):667–689, 1999.
- Bronson FH, Matherne CM. Exposure to anabolicandrogenic steroids shortens life span of male mice. Med Sci Sports Exerc 29(5):615–619, 1997.
- Brower KJ. Withdrawal from anabolic steroids. Curr Ther Endocrinol Metab 6:338–343, 1997.
- Daly RC, et al. Neuroendocrine and behavioral effects of high-dose anabolic steroid administration in male normal volunteers. Psychoneuroendocrinology 28(3):317–331, 2003.
- Elliot D, Goldberg L. Intervention and prevention of steroid use in adolescents. Am J Sports Med 24(6):S46–S47, 1996.
- Goldberg L, et al. Anabolic steroid education and adolescents: Do scare tactics work? Pediatrics 87(3):283–286, 1991.
- Goldberg L, et al. Effects of a multidimensional anabolic steroid prevention intervention: The Adolescents Training and Learning to Avoid Steroids (ATLAS) Program. JAMA 276(19):1555–1562, 1996.
- Goldberg L, et al. The ATLAS program: Preventing drug use and promoting health behaviors. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 154(4):332–338, 2000.
- Gottfredson GD, et al. The national study of delinquency prevention in schools. Ellicott City, MD: Gottfredson Associates, Inc., 2000.
- Green et al. NCAA study of substance use and abuse habits of college student-athletes. Clin J Sport Med 11(1):51–56, 2001.
- Gruber AJ, Pope HG Jr. Compulsive weight lifting and anabolic drug abuse among women rape victims. Compr Psychiatry 40(4):273–277, 1999.
- Gruber AJ, Pope HG Jr. Psychiatric and medical effects of anabolic-androgenic steroid use in women. Psychother Psychosom 69:19–26, 2000.
- Hoberman JM, Yesalis CE. The history of synthetic testosterone. Sci Am 272(2):76–81, 1995.
- Leder BZ, et al. Oral androstenedione administration and serum testosterone concentrations in young men. JAMA 283(6):779–782, 2000.
- The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics. Creatine and androstenedione—two "dietary supplements." 40(1039):105–106. New Rochelle, NY: The Medical Letter, Inc., 1998.
- Middleman AB, et al. High-risk behaviors among high school students in Massachusetts who use anabolic steroids. Pediatrics 96(2):268–272, 1995.
- Pope HG Jr, Kouri EM, Hudson MD. Effects of supraphysiologic doses of testosterone on mood and aggression in normal men: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Gen Psychiatry 57(2):133–140, 2000.
- Porcerelli JH, Sandler BA. Anabolic-androgenic steroid abuse and psychopathology. Psychiatr Clin North Am 21(4):829–833, 1998.
- Rich JD, Dickinson BP, Flanigan TP, Valone SE. Abscess related to anabolic-androgenic steroid injection. Med Sci Sports Exerc 31(2):207–209, 1999.
- Stilger VG, Yesalis CE. Anabolic-androgenic steroid use among high school football players. J Community Health 24(2):131–145, 1999.
- Su T-P, et al. Neuropsychiatric effects of anabolic steroids in male normal volunteers. JAMA 269(21):2760–2764, 1993.
- Sullivan ML, Martinez CM, Gennis P, Gallagher, EJ. The cardiac toxicity of anabolic steroids. Prog Cardiovasc Dis 41(1):1–15, 1998.
- Verroken M. Hormones and Sport. Ethical aspects and the prevalence of hormone abuse in sport. J Endocrinol 170(1):49–54, 2001.
- Yesalis CE. Anabolic steroids in sports and exercise, 2nd edition. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics. 2000.
- Yesalis CE. Androstenedione. Sport dietary supplements update, 2000, E-SportMed.com.
- Yesalis CE. Trends in anabolic-androgenic steroid use among adolescents. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 151(12):1197–1206.
- Yesalis CE, Kennedy NJ, Kopstein AN, Bahrke MS. Anabolic-androgenic steroid use in the United States. JAMA 270(10):1217–1221, 1993.
- Zorpette G. Andro angst. Sci Am 279(6):22–26, 1998.
Cite this article
APA style citation
National Institute on Drug Abuse (2006). References. In Anabolic Steroid Abuse. Retrieved from http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/anabolic-steroid-abuse/references
This series of reports simplifies the science of research findings for the educated lay public, legislators, educational groups, and practitioners. The series reports on research findings of national interest.