- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Office of Applied Studies. Results from the 2010 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Summary of National Findings. HHS Pub. No. (SMA) 11–4658, Rockville, MD: SAMHSA, 2011.
- Institute for Social Research. Monitoring the Future, 2011 (Study Results). Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan, 2012. Data retrieved 7/24/2012 from http://www.monitoringthefuture.org.
- Timberlake, D.S. A comparison of drug use and dependence between blunt smokers and other cannabis users. Subst Use Misuse 44(3):401–415, 2009.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Office of Applied Studies. Drug Abuse Warning Network, 2009: National Estimates of Drug-Related Emergency Department Visits. DHHS Publication No. (SMA) 11-4659, DAWN Series D-35. Rockville, MD, 2011.
- Mehmedic, Z.; Chandra, S.; Slade, D.; Denham, H.; Foster, S.; Patel, A.; Ross, S.; Khan, I.; and ElSohly, M. Potency trends of Δ9-THC and other cannabinoids in confiscated cannabis preparations from 1993 to 2008. J Forensic Sci 55(5):1209–1217, 2010.
- Polen, M.R.; Sidney, S.; Tekawa, I.S.; Sadler, M.; and Friedman, G.D. Health care use by frequent marijuana smokers who do not smoke tobacco. West J Med 158(6):596–601, 1993.
- Caspi, A.; Moffitt, T.E.; Cannon, M.; McClay, J.; Murray, R.; Harrington, H.; Taylor, A.; Arseneault, L.; Williams, B.; Braithwaite, A.; Poulton, R.; and Craig, I.W. Moderation of the effect of adolescent-onset cannabis use on adult psychosis by a functional polymorphism in the catechol-Omethyltransferase gene: Longitudinal evidence of a gene X environment interaction. Biol Psychiatry 57(10):1117–1127, 2005.
- Hashibe, M.; Morgenstern, H.; Cui, Y.; Tashkin, D.P.; Zhang, Z.F.; Cozen, W.; Mack, T.M.; and Greenland, S. Marijuana use and the risk of lung and upper aerodigestive tract cancers: Results of a population-based case-control study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15(10):1829–1834, 2006.
- Hall, W., and Degenhardt, L. Adverse health effects of non-medical cannabis use. Lancet 374(9698):1383–1391, 2009.
- Anthony, J.; Warner, L.A.; and Kessler, R.C. Comparative epidemiology of dependence on tobacco, alcohol, controlled substances, and inhalants: Basic findings from the National Comorbidity Survey. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 2:244–268, 1994.
- Hall, W.; and Degenhardt, L. Adverse health effects of non-medical cannabis use. Lancet 374:1383–1391, 2009.
- Hall, W. The adverse health effects of cannabis use: What are they, and what are their implications for policy? Int J of Drug Policy 20:458–466, 2009
- Lynskey, M.T.; Heath, A.C.; Bucholz, K.K.; Slutske, W.S.; Madden, P.A.; Nelson, E.C.; Statham, D.J.; and Martin, N.G. Escalation of drug use in early-onset cannabis users vs. co-twin controls. JAMA 289(4):427–433, 2003.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Office of Applied Studies. Treatment Episode Data Set (TEDS) Highlights—2009: National Admissions to Substance Abuse Treatment Services. Office of Applied Studies, DASIS Series: S-45, DHHS Publication No. SMA 09–4360, Rockville, MD, 2008.
- Schweinsburg, A.D.; Brown, S.A.; and Tapert, S.F. The influence of marijuana use on neurocognitive functioning in adolescents. Curr Drug Abuse Rev 1(1):99–111, 2008.
- Fergusson, D.M., and Boden, J.M. Cannabis use and later life outcomes. Addiction 103(6):969–976; discussion 977–968, 2008.
- Macleod, J.; Oakes, R.; Copello, A.; Crome, I.; Egger, M.; Hickman, M.; Oppenkowski, T.; Stokes-Lampard, H.; and Davey Smith, G. Psychological and social sequelae of cannabis and other illicit drug use by young people: A systematic review of longitudinal, general population studies. Lancet 363(9421):1579–1588, 2004.
- O’Malley, P.M., and Johnston, L.D. Drugs and driving by American high school seniors, 2001–2006. J Stud Alcohol Drugs 68(6):834–842, 2007.
- Richer, I., and Bergeron, J. Driving under the influence of cannabis: Links with dangerous driving, psychological predictors, and accident involvement. Accid Anal Prev 41(2):299–307, 2009.
- Trezza, V.; Campolongo, P.; Cassano, T.; Macheda, T.; Dipasquale, P.; Carratu, M.R.;Gaetani, S.; Cuomo, V. Effects of perinatal exposure to delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol on the emotional reactivity of the offspring: A longitudinal behavioral study in Wistar rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 198(4):529–537, 2008.
- Schempf, A.H., and Strobino, D.M. Illicit drug use and adverse birth outcomes: Is it drugs or context? J Urban Health 85(6):858–873, 2008.
- Gouzoulis-Mayfrank, E. Dual diagnosis psychosis and substance use disorders: Theoretical foundations and treatment. Z Kinder Jugendpsychiatr Psychother 36(4):245–253, 2008.
As a result of scientific research, we know that addiction is a disease that affects both brain and behavior.