Activity 1: Marijuana Bingo
Time: 30 minutes
Supplies: Bingo cards and sheet (PDF, 37KB)
Tell students that this is the fourth activity of their competition. The group who gets a bingo first earns 5 competition points. Instruct the students to sit with their Brain Power! Challenge groups; however, explain to them that, for this activity, they will participate individually and each play their own card. Only one person in the group is required to get a bingo for the team to earn the 5 points.
- Pass out a bingo card to each student. Using the word bank at the bottom of the card, instruct students to write a word in each of the spaces on the card. Each word should only be used once.
- Using the teacher bingo sheet, read each definition in order always announcing the number first because this is how the students will mark their cards. For example: Number 1—The active chemical in marijuana. At this time, instruct students to find the answer on their cards and mark with a “1.” Continue reading the definitions in order, reminding students to mark the answer with the definition’s number, until someone yells, “Bingo”. Inform the students that they need to get 5 in a row—diagonally, across, or up and down. Other bingo patterns can be substituted if you choose to do so.
- Use the teacher bingo sheet to check for correct answers. Marked words should correspond with definition numbers. If the player gets all answers correct, that team earns 5 points. If any of the answers are wrong, the game continues until someone wins.
- Record the team points on the Group Scorecard.
Activity 2: Poster Presentation
Time: 45 minutes, or adequate research and presentation time (may want to allow more time for poster preparation)
Module 4 magazine (PDF, 6.8MB)
Computer for research
Handouts: Marijuana Fact Sheet and Survey (PDF, 668KB) (Pages 18-21 in the pdf)
In the 1960s, some people thought that marijuana was a “safe” drug. However, new research presents a different picture of this drug. During this activity, students have an opportunity to find out for themselves the latest research on the effects of marijuana on the body and brain.
Divide the class into groups of three or four students. Ask each group to imagine that it has been asked to present the latest research on marijuana at a National medical conference. Have students use the Fact Sheet, CD-ROM, student magazine, and the Web sites listed on the next page to:
- Study current research about marijuana.
- Create a scientific poster presenting findings from the research. The poster should include statistics about marijuana use, results of recent research, charts and graphs providing important information, and any other relevant findings.
- Have each group present its findings to the class.
- After all groups have presented, brainstorm as a class different ways of educating the general public about the latest marijuana research.
Prior to activity, add these sites to the classroom computer’s “Favorites” drop-down menu:
CD-ROM: Room 4 (Online Version)*
The CD-ROM includes games and materials to supplement the information presented in the module. The room labeled “4” contains the following activities and specific information pertaining to this module:
- Learning Objectives: these are presented at the beginning of each CD-ROM module
- Using Animals in Research: a short lesson on the ethical use of animals and research, and why this use is scientifically important
- Rat Trap: a fun game where players scramble to capture rats and return them to their cages
- Receptor Search: students learn where THC receptors are located in the brain, through an interactive game
- Experiment: Marijuana and Memory: students will conduct a full experiment to learn the effects marijuana has on memory
- Module Quiz: this quiz is the final part of the module, intended to assess students’ learning
* Adobe Flash player required to view.
Cite this article
APA style citation
National Institute on Drug Abuse (June 1 2007). Activities/CD-ROM. In Grades 6-9. Retrieved from http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/grades-6-9/weeding-out-grass-module-4/activitiescd-rom