- NIDA Junior Scientists DVD, or online video
For each group (four students per group):
- three clear cups
- one cigarette
- one small bunch of green leaves (gathered from outside)
- Bucket (if you don’t have a sink in the class)
- Instruction Sheets (PDF, 55KB)
- Log Sheets (PDF, 61KB)
- Trading cards
- Paper and pencils
- Neurotransmission poster or overlay from Module 3
- Poster: The Effects of Nicotine on Neurotransmission (PDF, 47KB)
- Divide the class into groups of four students. Each group of students will get three cups, one cigarette, and one leaf.
- Decide how to distribute the materials for the experiment. One approach is to set up a materials center and have one student from each group collect the materials needed.
- Make one copy of the log sheet and one copy of the student instruction sheet for each student.
- If you don’t have a sink in your classroom, decide how you will bring water into the class. One possibility is for two students to fill up a bucket and bring it into the class. Another approach would be for a parent volunteer or an instructional assistant to bring in the water.
- Make a poster or an overlay of the neurotransmission diagram from Module 3 and a copy showing how nicotine acts (PDF, 47KB). You will use them during the Discussion Questions part of the mission.