- Read the Background section of this module for more information about the brain and neurotransmission.
- Provide students with the Module 1 magazine The Brain and Nervous System for background knowledge.
- Determine which activities you want the class to complete.
- Arrange for computer lab time or prepare the classroom computer for students' Internet and CD-ROM use.
- Photocopy and pass out the Brain Parts Fact Sheet and the Neurotransmission Fact Sheet for students to complete during the lecture.
- Prepare transparencies and photocopies for the lesson.
Time: 15 - 20 minutes
Supplies: Transparencies of diagrams if needed
Reading: Begin by giving students adequate time to read the student magazine. Have students pay particular attention to the following sections: Background, Stats and Facts, and Science in the Spotlight.
Discussion: After students have read the magazine, facilitate a discussion about the brain using the following questions. If necessary, review this information with your students, using the diagrams provided.
The Parts of the Brain
- What does the brain do?
- What are the four lobes of the brain?
- What are the functions of the right and left hemispheres?
- What does the limbic system control?
- What are three functions of the brain stem?
- What are the three main parts of a neuron?
- Approximately how many neurons are in the brain?
- What are the steps of neurotransmission?
- What are the definitions of neurotransmitters, synapse, and receptors?