As students complete the activities in the module, observe whether they have mastered the following:
- Can students explain the effects of methamphetamine in the brain? Can they explain how these changes can result in addiction?
- Can students explain the effects of steroids in the brain? Can they explain the dramatic effects the drug can have on the body?
- Can students list the serious effects of MDMA abuse?
- Can students list the types of date rape drugs and their effects on the brain and body? Do they realize the prevalence of these drugs in society?
- Do students recognize the prevalence of information on drugs in the news? Can students articulate why drug abuse is such an important topic for the media?
- Have students become more critical consumers of information about drugs of abuse? Are they able to recognize inaccuracy or imbalance in news coverage, if present?
T-shirts, Stickers, and Buttons: Grades 6-9
As a result of scientific research, we know that addiction is a disease that affects both brain and behavior.