The lists below include resources for teachers and students.
Resources for Teachers
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
This Web site contains information about drug abuse and a section designed specifically for parents, teachers, and students. Publications and other materials are available free of charge at drugpubs.drugabuse.gov.
- National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information (NCADI)
NCADI provides information and materials on substance abuse. Many free publications are available here.
- From Neuron to Brain. [Nicholls, J. G., Wallace, B. G., Fuchs, P. A., & Martin, A. R.] Sunderland, MA: Sinauer Associates, 2001.
Developed for readers with an interest in the human nervous system with little or no background in the biological sciences; describes how nerve cells transmit signals and messages.
- The Brain Atlas: A Visual Guide to the Human Central Nervous System, 3rd Edition. [Woolsey, T. A., Hanaway, J., Gado, M.H.] Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2007.
This book is a comprehensive and accurate atlas of the brain. It includes nearly 400 images of the brain and its pathways.
Resources for Students
- Neuroscience for Kids
This site contains information on the brain and neurotransmission, activities, experiments, pictures, and other resources for the students and educators.
- Phineas Gage: A Gruesome but True Story About Brain Science. [Fleischman, J.] Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin Co., 2002.
Written for ages 9 through 12, this book tells the story of a railroad employee who experienced personality changes after a 13-pound iron rod shot through his brain.
- Focus on Drugs and the Brain. [Friedman, D.] Frederick, MD: Twenty-First Century Books, 1990.
This book, part of the “Drug-Alert Book” series, gives a good overview of the brain, neurotransmission, effects of drugs on the brain, and addiction.
- Understanding Your Brain (Science for Beginners Series). [Treays, R.] Newton, MA: EDC Publications, 1996.
This book describes the parts of the brain and the process of neurotransmission.
- The Brain: Our Nervous System. [Simon, S.] New York, NY: Collins Publishers, 2006.
This book presents a simple, yet detailed, overview of the brain and neurotransmission.