The lists below include resources for teachers and students.
Resources for Teachers
National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
This Web site contains information about drug abuse and a section designed specifically for parents, teachers, and students.
drugpubs.drugabuse.gov , 877-NIDA-NIH (877-643-2644)
DrugPubs is NIDA’s research dissemination center. Visitors can order hard copies of NIDA publications or download electronic versions in multiple formats.
National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information (NCADI)
NCADI provides information and materials on substance abuse. Many free publications are available here.
Eisenhower National Clearinghouse (ENC)
This Web site provides useful information and products to improve mathematics and science teaching and learning.
- Greenfield, S. A. The Human Brain: A Guided Tour. New York: Basic Books, 1998. Written for a lay audience, provides a holistic view of the brain as an integral part of the body; part of the Science Masters Series.
- Wade, N., ed. The Science Times Book of the Brain. New York: Lyons Press, 1998. A collection of articles about the brain from the science section of the New York Times.
- Sylwester, R. A Celebration of Neurons: An Educator’s Guide to the Human Brain. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, 1995. The book discusses the structure and function of the brain, and explains how we think, dream, digest food, and much more.
Are We Unique?
Page from the Franklin Institute Web site talks about the science of the human mind.
Part of the Society for Neuroscience Web site; gives scientific information on different parts of the brain and brain disorders.
Resources for Students
- Friedman, D. Focus on Drugs and the Brain. Frederick, MD: Twenty-First Century Books, 1990. Part of the “Drug-Alert Book” series; gives a good overview of the brain, neurotransmission, effects of drugs on the brain, and addiction.
- Rowan, P. Big Head! A Book About Your Brain and Your Head. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1998. Gives an overview of the different parts of the brain; includes detailed color pictures and transparencies.
Neuroscience for Kids
Contains information on the brain and neurotransmission, activities, experiments, pictures, and other resources for students and educators.
Bill Nye the Science Guy
See Episode 34 on the brain.