In This Section
Tools and Resources for Your Practice
NIDA Drug Use Screening Tool: Features a one-question Quick Screen as well as the full NIDA-Modified Alcohol, Smoking and Substance Involvement Screening Test.
- Screening, Assessment, and Drug Testing Resources
- Opioid Prescribing Resources
- Drug Abuse Information
- Treatment Information
- Patient Materials
- NIDA/SAMHSA Blending Initiative Products
- Share NIDAMED Resources
Anyone can become addicted to drugs
Clinical Trials Information
- NIDA’s Clinical Trials Network (CTN): A research collaborative to test new treatment options in community settings.
- ClinicalTrials.gov: A registry and results database of clinical trials in the U.S. and around the world.
Why Physicians Should Screen Their Patients
What physicians Should Know About Addiction and Recovery: Cliff
The Most Important Things I've Learned Through Addiction and Recovery: Rhonda
Continuing Education and Training
- Opioid and Pain Management CMEs/CEs: Featuring videos that model effective communication, courses provide guidance for screening pain patients before prescribing and identifying when patients are abusing their medications. Accreditation through Medscape Education
- Talking to Patients About Health Risk Behaviors CME/CE: A Motivational Interviewing techniques course featuring video vignettes as well as a real time patient simulation where physicians can practice their skills with feedback and support. Accreditation through Medscape Education
- American College of Physicians Practice Advisor Modules: Apply the principles of patient-centered care, review evidence-based tools, and obtain practical guidance on how to integrate Addressing Substance Use and Motivational Interviewing into your clinical practice. Coming Soon! Maintenance of Certification credit by ABIM for Addressing Substance Use Module.
- Addiction Medicine in Primary Care Lectures: A series of short presentations given by the Nation's leading experts on addiction to help inform the care of patients presenting with substance use disorders in primary care settings.
- Addiction Performance Project: A CME/CE program exploring the family dynamics and stigma of substance use disorders through the lens of Long Day’s Journey into Night. Excerpts read by a professional cast with thoughtful expert reaction.
NIDA’s Addiction Performance Project–What’s It All About?
Education for Medical School Faculty, Residents and Students
NIDA Centers of Excellence (CoE) for Physician Information - Supplemental curriculum on substance use disorders for group and individual learning developed by faculty of leading medical universities. Choose curriculum resources based on:
- Substance Use Disorder Patient Case Studies: Developed by faculty at leading medical universities, these patient case studies detail and encourage the identification and care of patients with substance use disorders.
- Physician-Patient Communication Skills Videos: Featuring effective communication techniques for screening at-risk adult and adolescent patients.
- Balancing Pain Management and Prescription Opioid Abuse: Course materials for Residents created by the Centers of Disease Control.
Get this Publication
Safe Disposal of Medicines
Looking for Treatment?
Use the SAMHSA Treatment Locator or 1-800-662-HELP.
Prescription Drug Abuse
Learn what you can do to
prevent medicine abuse at
Offers guidance in seeking drug abuse treatment and lists five questions to ask when searching for a treatment program.
Formed with SAMHSA to reduce the gap between research results and treatment.