In This Section
Tools and Resources for Your Practice
NIDA Drug Use Screening Tool: Features a one-question Quick Screen as well as the full NIDA-Modified Alcohol, Smoking and Substance Involvement Screening Test.
- Screening, Assessment, and Drug Testing Resources
- Opioid Prescribing Resources
- Drug Abuse Information
- Treatment Information
- Patient Materials
- NIDA/SAMHSA Blending Initiative Products
- Share NIDAMED Resources
Anyone can become addicted to drugs
Clinical Trials Information
- NIDA’s Clinical Trials Network (CTN): A research collaborative to test new treatment options in community settings.
- ClinicalTrials.gov: A registry and results database of clinical trials in the U.S. and around the world.
Why Physicians Should Screen Their Patients
What physicians Should Know About Addiction and Recovery: Cliff
The Most Important Things I've Learned Through Addiction and Recovery: Rhonda
Continuing Education and Training
- Opioid and Pain Management CMEs: Featuring videos that model effective communication, courses provide guidance for screening pain patients before prescribing and identifying when patients are abusing their medications. Accreditation through Medscape Education
- Addiction Medicine in Primary Care Lectures: A series of short presentations given by the Nation's leading experts on addiction to help inform the care of patients presenting with substance use disorders in primary care settings.
- Addiction Performance Project: A CME/CE program exploring the family dynamics and stigma of substance use disorders through the lens of Long Day’s Journey into Night. Excerpts read by a professional cast with thoughtful expert reaction.
NIDA’s Addiction Performance Project–What’s It All About?
Education for Medical School Faculty, Residents and Students
NIDA Centers of Excellence (CoE) for Physician Information - Supplemental curriculum on substance use disorders for group and individual learning developed by faculty of leading medical universities. Choose curriculum resources based on:
- Substance Use Disorder Patient Case Studies: Developed by faculty at leading medical universities, these patient case studies detail and encourage the identification and care of patients with substance use disorders.
- Physician-Patient Communication Skills Videos: Featuring effective communication techniques for screening at-risk adult and adolescent patients.
- Balancing Pain Management and Prescription Opioid Abuse: Course materials for Residents created by the Centers of Disease Control.
Safe Disposal of Medicines
Looking for Treatment?
Use the SAMHSA Treatment Locator or 1-800-662-HELP.
Prescription Drug Abuse
Learn what you can do to
prevent medicine abuse at
Offers guidance in seeking drug abuse treatment and lists five questions to ask when searching for a treatment program.
Formed with SAMHSA to reduce the gap between research results and treatment.