Revised October 2014
Resources include patient agreement and consent forms to guide opioid prescribing and the identification and care of patients with substance use disorder.
Clinical Resources: Prescription Opioids
- Aberrant Drug Taking Behaviors Information Sheet (PDF, 98KB) - Resource listing behaviors more and less likely to indicate prescription medication abuse or addiction.
- Commonly Used Long-acting Opioids Chart (PDF, 365KB) - Chart listing strengths, dosing information, and brand names of commonly used opioid analgesics.
- Considerations for Prescribing Opioids (PDF, 152KB) - Presentation describing informed consent and monitoring considerations following initiation of prescription opioid therapy.
- How to Change Routes of Administration of Opioids (PDF, 193KB) - Dosing guidelines for use when changing routes of administration of commonly used opioid analgesics.
- Recognizing Opioid Abuse (PDF, 98KB) - Table listing common symptoms of prescription opioid abuse and/or addiction.
- Administering a Narcotic Contract - Web-based annotated video illustrating how to implement a narcotic contract with a patient.
- Sample Notification of Discontinuation of Opioid Treatment Form (Word, 82KB) : Form used to provide patients with information about why opioid treatment can no longer be provided and information about local treatment programs
- Knowing When to Say When: Transitioning Patients from Opioid Therapy: A 2-hour course that covers how to recognize aberrant drug-taking behaviors, strategies for monitoring patients, using a risk-benefit framework to help determine options for discontinuation of opioids, and strategies for transition patients off of opioids and how to treat opioid withdrawal symptoms, among other related content.