Revised October 2014
Resources include patient agreement and consent forms to guide opioid prescribing and the identification and care of patients with substance use disorder.
Clinical Resources: Prescription Opioids
- Aberrant Drug Taking Behaviors Information Sheet (PDF, 98KB) - Resource listing behaviors more and less likely to indicate prescription medication abuse or addiction.
- Commonly Used Long-acting Opioids Chart (PDF, 365KB) - Chart listing strengths, dosing information, and brand names of commonly used opioid analgesics.
- Considerations for Prescribing Opioids (PDF, 152KB) - Presentation describing informed consent and monitoring considerations following initiation of prescription opioid therapy.
- How to Change Routes of Administration of Opioids (PDF, 193KB) - Dosing guidelines for use when changing routes of administration of commonly used opioid analgesics.
- Recognizing Opioid Abuse (PDF, 98KB) - Table listing common symptoms of prescription opioid abuse and/or addiction.
- Administering a Narcotic Contract - Web-based annotated video illustrating how to implement a narcotic contract with a patient.
- Sample Notification of Discontinuation of Opioid Treatment Form (Word, 82KB) : Form used to provide patients with information about why opioid treatment can no longer be provided and information about local treatment programs
- Knowing When to Say When: Transitioning Patients from Opioid Therapy: A 2-hour course that covers how to recognize aberrant drug-taking behaviors, strategies for monitoring patients, using a risk-benefit framework to help determine options for discontinuation of opioids, and strategies for transition patients off of opioids and how to treat opioid withdrawal symptoms, among other related content.
Patient Consent Forms
Get this Publication
Looking for Treatment?
Use the SAMHSA Treatment Locator or 1-800-662-HELP.