Revised April 2014
Web-based resources with video components that illustrate clinical approaches to substance use screening and interventions; patient and provider perspectives about addiction, treatment, and recovery are also covered.
Screening and Brief Intervention Guidance
- Identifying Patients with Substance Use Disorders - Web-based resource, with video commentary from patients, describing symptoms that may indicate a substance use problem.
- Screening for Substance Use Disorders - Web-based resource, with video commentary, to inform screening for substance use disorders in primary care.
- Tips for Conducting a Brief Intervention and Assessing Readiness to Change - Web-based resource, with example videos, focused on delivery of brief interventions with patients at different stages of readiness to change.
- The Clinical Assessment of Substance Use Disorders Case Study - Web-based course module that informs screening, evaluation, intervention, and care for patients with substance use disorders in primary care.
- Substance Use Disorders in Adolescents: Screening and Engagement in Primary Care Settings - Web-based course module that informs screening and brief intervention for adolescents at risk for substance use disorders.
Treatment and Recovery
- Interviews with Patients in Recovery - Web-based resource that includes video interviews with five individuals in recovery from substance use and addiction.
- Core Principles for the Treatment of Substance Use Disorders - Web-based resource, with video commentary, to guide treatment recommendations for patients with substance use disorders.
Communicating with Patients
- Improving Patient Care: Enhancing Clinician Perspectives Toward Treating Patients with Substance Use Disorders - Web-based resource, with video commentary, focused on the impact of clinician attitudes on patient care.
- Administering a Narcotic Contract - Web-based annotated video illustrating how to implement a narcotic contract with a patient.
- Recommendations for Addressing Patient Resistance to Substance Use Diagnoses - Web-based annotated video illustrating how to discuss substance use diagnosis and treatment options with a resistant patient.
Get this Publication
Looking for Treatment?
Use the SAMHSA Treatment Locator or 1-800-662-HELP.