This E-news is issued every other month to inform the international drug abuse research community about:
- What’s New
- Funding Opportunities
- The Research Training and Exchange Program
- Public Announcements from NIDA and the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Other Items of Interest
- Reading Corner
NIDA, Fogarty Sponsor International Effort to Build Inhalant Research Agenda
This highly successful meeting provided important updates on inhalant abuse and highlighted the need to increase awareness about the issue among researchers, health care providers, and the general public.
2006 NIDA International Forum
International Trends and Needs in Drug Abuse Research
June 16-19, 2006
The Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
- Full announcement
- Online Meeting Registration & Abstract Submission Form
- WHO/NIDA/CPDD International Traveling Fellowship Awards (Deadline: January 15, 2006)
- NIDA International Forum Travel Awards (Deadline: February 1, 2006)
New! Request for Application
International Clinical, Operational and Health Services Research Training Award (ICOHRTA) [D43]
The Fogarty International Center (FIC), together with the National Institute on Aging (NIA), the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR), the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), the National Institute on Mental Health (NIMH), the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) and the Office of Dietary Supplements, invites applications for research training programs in international clinical, operational, health services and prevention science which support the development and implementation of evidence-based interventions, for major global health problems on non-communicable disorders/diseases in low- to middle-income countries.
- Announcement Number: RFA-TW-06-002
- Release Date: November 15, 2005
- Letters of Intent Receipt Date(s): December 26, 2005
- Application Receipt Dates(s): January 25, 2006
- Expiration Date: January 26, 2006
- For enquiries on this RFA, please forward them to the agency contacts listed under Section VII of the RFA.
Existing Updates on NIDA’s International Program funding opportunities:
Ongoing Research and Training Opportunities
(in English & Spanish)
PA-03-018 AIDS International Training and Research Program
(Expires December 27, 2007)
International Research Collaboration on Drug Addiction, PA-06-050
(Expires January 3, 2009)
For current information on NIDA and NIH training and exchange programs, please visit the following Web pages:
NIDA International Program
The NIDA International Program fosters international cooperative research and the exchange of scientific information by drug abuse researchers around the globe. International scientific collaboration in drug abuse research is fostered through the following programs:
INVEST Drug Abuse Research Fellowship
Application Deadlines: April 1 and October 1
Notification of Award: June 1 and December 1
- Fellowships awarded in June must begin by December 31 of the current year. Fellowships awarded in December must begin by June 30 of the following year.
- How can I get help in finding a mentor or connecting with a NIDA grantee? To find a mentor who is right for you or to connect with a NIDA grantee, consult the online database of research projects supported by NIH at firstname.lastname@example.org).
Distinguished International Scientist Collaboration Program
Click on the above link if you are a senior scientist collaborating with a NIDA grantee and would like to work together in the most suitable locale for joint research.
Application Deadline: January 1
(If you need an extension, please submit your request via e-mail to NIDA International Program email@example.com.)
Notification of Award: March 1
- 2005 Distinguished International Scientists Complete Their Research Visits
NIDA Hubert H. Humphrey Drug Abuse Research Fellowship
Click on the above link if you are a mid-career professional who wants to gain international experience at a U.S. research institute. The NIDA Hubert H. Humphrey Drug Abuse Research Fellowship is a component of the larger U.S. Department of State program, and you must contact the U.S. Embassy or Fulbright Commission in your home country to apply. The U.S. Department of State is the primary sponsor of the Humber H. Humphrey Program.
- 2005-2006 Huber H. Humphrey Drug Abuse Research Fellows Tour NIDA’s Intramural Research Program in Baltimore, Maryland
NIH Fogarty International Center
The Fogarty International Center, the international component of the NIH, addresses global health challenges through innovative and collaborative research and training programs and supports and advances the NIH mission through international partnerships.
- Programs and Initiatives
- NIH Grants Information and Program Application Deadlines & Review Cycle Dates
- Fogarty International Center / Ellison Medical Foundation Overseas Fellowships in Global Health and Clinical Research: Are you a graduate-level U.S. student in the health professions? FIC/Ellison Medical Foundation offers a Clinical Research Training Fellowships that provides a one-year clinical research training experience at top-ranked, NIH-funded research centers in developing countries of Africa, Asia, and the Americas.
VII International Forum of Research in Alcoholism and Addictions
April 27 - 29 2006
University of Guadalajara, Mexico
The meeting will feature invited talks, symposia, and poster sessions. Submit 200-word abstracts via e-mail by February 6, 2006. For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Institute of Mental Health Annual International Research Conference on the Role of Families in Preventing and Adapting to HIV/AIDS
July 19-21, 2006
University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
This conference is designed to present research findings on family processes and HIV disease. Deadlines: February 15, 2006 for paper and workshop presentations; June 30, 2006 for poster presentations; and July 1, 2006 to be included in the conference program book.
Get Automated PubMed Updates From My NCBI
hrough the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), researchers can create a free account to save searches, set up e-mail alerts for new content, display links to Web resources, and choose filters that group search results. Users must register, and their browsers must accept cookies. PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine, includes more than 15 million citations from MEDLINE and other life science journals as well as links to full text articles and other related resources.
NIDA Funds New Research Tool For Behavioral Scientists
The Research Assistant
NIDA-funded research online tool for behavioral scientists.
NOTE: The following information is being provided for informational purposes only. Reference to any Website listed below does not constitute endorsement of or recommendation by NIDA/NIH/DHHS.
Access to Free or Low Cost Online Publications for Researchers
- International Network for the Availability of Scientific Publications (INASP)
- HINARI - Health InterNetwork Access to Research Initiative
Look here for research articles or other publications of interest to the international drug abuse research community.
- The University of Maryland Center for Substance Abuse Research (CESAR) provides a weekly, one-page overview of timely substance abuse trends or issues via e-mail. Back issues are available online at http://www.cesar.umd.edu/cesar/cesarfax.asp. To subscribe, contact Center for Substance Abuse Research (CESAR) at +1-301-405-9770 or by E-mail at email@example.com.
Publishing Addiction Science: A Guide for the Perplexed
(Click on BOOK ORDERS on the left-hand menu buttons)
Thomas F. Babor, Kerstin Stenius and Susan Savva, eds.
London, 2004, International Society of Addiction Journal Editors
Co-published with the World Health Organization